Nematodes

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/walmart-nematodes.320022/

I had created a thread a few months back detailing my experience with nematodes.

A few months have past since my last update there, and I was feeling hopeful that this was behind me, but today one of my male Pamphobeteus ultramurinus have started to show the symptoms as well. (Palps stop working, drool, and a pulsating white mass of worms in the chelicerae)

I have had 0 luck stopping the spread by quarantining and disposing of the infected tarantulas.

If you’ve read through the previous thread, I’m certain beyond doubt that this started with Walmart, as I could see the worms in the contaminated soil under microscope. However, I have searched and searched for any trace of them in my feeder bins, or in infected tarantulas enclosures by viewing soil samples under my microscope, and haven’t found any trace.

Despite this, I feel that the only way this could still be spreading is if they have entered my feeder roach colony. It seems unlikely to me that I could be feeding infected roaches for months, and only have 1 of my +100 tarantulas become affected. However, the only next measure I can think of is to replace the feeder colony.

Would it be worth it to do a full clean of every enclosure? Change every container and all substrate of every tarantula? Let me hear your thoughts, as my own research hasn’t yielded much beyond “nematodes will eradicate your entire collection and there’s nothing you can do but watch”

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Not to state the obvious but never use earthworms as feeders. Period. It’s common to feed frogs worms but from personal experience I cannot stress enough that they be avoided. Nutritionally they are an exceptional feeder however, they are hosts to a swathe of different parasites and potential contaminants.

Now to the matter at hand. Nematodes are one of the most common organisms on the planet. They occupy almost, if not every , ecological niche on the planet. Any soil sample is likely to yield some form or another yet many are benign. However, my question is, how did the worms or soil come into contact with your spiders? If I missed something in your previous post I apologize. I’m just curious as to how contact was made.

There is a way to eliminate them but it’s a bit complicated and generally used only in live planted vivariums.

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
Not to state the obvious but never use earthworms as feeders. Period. It’s common to feed frogs worms but from personal experience I cannot stress enough that they be avoided. Nutritionally they are an exceptional feeder however, they are hosts to a swathe of different parasites and potential contaminants.

Now to the matter at hand. Nematodes are one of the most common organisms on the planet. They occupy almost, if not every , ecological niche on the planet. Any soil sample is likely to yield some form or another yet many are benign. However, my question is, how did the worms or soil come into contact with your spiders? If I missed something in your previous post I apologize. I’m just curious as to how contact was made.

There is a way to eliminate them but it’s a bit complicated and generally used only in live planted vivariums.

I’m sorry, maybe I didn’t mention in any of this. The worms were for my Pacman frog, not the tarantulas lol. However, using the same feeding tongs makes me believe that I’ve unintentionally cross contaminated between feedings.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I believe (about 90% confident) i read someplace flies are the #1 Transporter of nemotodes. Any chance you have an excess of flies that could have been responsible for the nemotodes?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Also, i guess we shouldn’t ignore the obvious. Could the pampho have been exposed before coming into your posession? Not sure if there are a lot of those being WC or not or if the breeder could have brought in a different WC Specimen and accidentally spread them?

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
Nope, no flies at all. The pampho was not wild caught, and this is not patient zero. (Nor was the first instance on a wild caught species)

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Can you bake their substrate instead of throwing it out? Would save some $ anyhow as you go through this. I thought I read that on here but couldn't find the post again to link it.

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
Can you bake their substrate instead of throwing it out? Would save some $ anyhow as you go through this. I thought I read that on here but couldn't find the post again to link it.
That would be a better idea I suppose. Maybe microwave? Not sure how hot it would have to be or for how long.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I’m sorry, maybe I didn’t mention in any of this. The worms were for my Pacman frog, not the tarantulas lol. However, using the same feeding tongs makes me believe that I’ve unintentionally cross contaminated between feedings.
No worries I was just curious. My motto is when in doubt throw it out. I’d ditch everything and start fresh. It’s unlikely that you cross contaminated but I find it odd that many of your ts are affected.

To my knowledge there are no anti parasitic medications that are safe for invertebrates. However you could contact an exotics vet and ask about submitting a sample for an ID. Usually samples are submitted as fecals from vertebrates but it may be possible to submit something. I honestly don’t know if this is even possible but my curiosity has been piqued. Good luck.

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
No worries I was just curious. My motto is when in doubt throw it out. I’d ditch everything and start fresh. It’s unlikely that you cross contaminated but I find it odd that many of your ts are affected.

To my knowledge there are no anti parasitic medications that are safe for invertebrates.
I’m skeptical as well about the mode of transmission, but after having so many events over an extended period makes me think there’s no other way it could be spreading. I can’t see a pattern, even between the locations of infected T’s containers.

As far as medications, I’ve actually just ordered Ivermectin. I saw a report of someone having success using this de-worming oral paste for horses. It seems really far fetched, but I’ll try anything at this point.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
I agree with Dandrobates about starting fresh if you can, but if money was an issue I would try to bake it, just 'cause I've been in situations (non-tarantula related) where I'm trying to figure out how to reuse something because I can't afford new. I found this link here on Arachnoboards and it is old, 2013, but gave specifics at least: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/how-to-safely-bake-substrate.245907/ Hope it helps.

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
I agree with Dandrobates about starting fresh if you can, but if money was an issue I would try to bake it, just 'cause I've been in situations (non-tarantula related) where I'm trying to figure out how to reuse something because I can't afford new. I found this link here on Arachnoboards and it is old, 2013, but gave specifics at least: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/how-to-safely-bake-substrate.245907/ Hope it helps.
Thanks! I agree that’s it’s probably safer to replace everything, but I may at least try this before I go to that extreme.