nematodes= death

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok ive got a question. I was talking with my fiance yesterday and we got on the subject of nematodes. ive read on the board here that they are certain death. I havent had an issue with them and very much hope never to do that tango. (knock on wood). is there a way to spot that your T has it before the final breath. can you treat it? Im curious since many other animals also get this parasite and are treated. of course the medicine is orally given so I guess you would have to inject a cricket and hopefully the T will eat it all. has anyone ever tried to treat their t and what was your success rate?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To give you a small idea of how bad they are I have personally had three Ts contract nematodes. And all three died.
As for detecting it prior to death, there is sometimes a sweet rotting smell, the T will become lethargic and just over all act out of the norm, there could be a build up of gunk around the mouth parts, that gunk if looked at closely can be seen moving.
I can't think of much more I have been up to long I have to get some sleep. I'll add a post if I remember anything else. I know there is more.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some early signs are pedipalps being retracted and unsteady on their feet upon being disturbed. In Europe there have been some treatments tried with success. One of those involves cycling the T's environmental temperature. Exposure to high temps seems to destroy the nematode - the exact figures elude me right now.

You should also know - there is no proven vector for the transmission of infection (soil, prey, flies, are all suspected).

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe i have only had one death from this, and the T that died was w/c. All my other T's which were c/b were fine. The only thing i noticed near the end was it wouldn't eat. By the time i got it into an ICU it was too late.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's a horrible death. This is why you shouldn't take uneaten prey items out of one tank and put them in with another spider for them to eat. It's how they spread nematodes.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a cure. Search for nematodes + cure. You will need a lab though.