Nematode Questions

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
Something quite important about these parasitic infections to keep in mind.
You can have, as in the case of the T in this thread, very specific nematodes that undergo a near closed loop life cycle, but the most common parasitic infections are found in dogs, cats, and ruminants that rarely if ever have infected food sources such as crickets or roaches in their diet.

Nematoda use direct and indirect infection methods of all sorts. Through eggs that have gone airborne, or probably the most common source of infection, through vectors. Nematodes infecting or infesting various insects that can't provide a viable full life cycle of the parasite and are only temporary hosts. This is how cattle and horses contract worms which is so common a deworming medication is regularly included in their feed regimen. Think of feed lot cattle and horses that never graze in pastures, contracting the worms through temporary vectors in the feed stocks or a short duration in the life cycle of the parasite where a certain stage of the larvae climbs plants.

Typical 'worm belly'. Unthrifty, unenergetic, ribs showing, distended belly, concave thighs, and loss of sheen to the coat.
View attachment 446553
Thanks for the nematode info!

Yeah are roaches just tougher period?? I mean crickets are harder to raise I don’t know I haven’t? Chirping is annoying ehh. Roaches don’t chirp. !!
I really would like to switch to roaches, but I also keep them as pets and that seems a bit unfair. :bigtears: Plus I hate watching the big ones struggle while a T is munching on it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I really would like to switch to roaches, but I also keep them as pets and that seems a bit unfair. :bigtears: Plus I hate watching the big ones struggle while a T is munching on it.
I don’t plan on feeding any off until they’re self sustainable . And the way the Dubias I used to have would outsmart many spiders was strange . They would play dead for days or weeks . I plan on getting more dubia because my colony’s numbers are so Low could be a year til it recovers . Red runners look too much like a pest species I’d get those but if my parents saw them they would freak out .
Yeah it always feels bad feeding them off , but dubia don’t live as long as some other types. :sad: I’ll be feeding supersworms for a while.. what a pain dealing with them .

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
I don’t plan on feeding any off until they’re self sustainable . And the way the Dubias I used to have would outsmart many spiders was strange . They would play dead for days or weeks . I plan on getting more dubia because my colony’s numbers are so Low could be a year til it recovers . Red runners look too much like a pest species I’d get those but if my parents saw them they would freak out .
Yeah it always feels bad feeding them off , but dubia don’t live as long as some other types. :sad: I’ll be feeding supersworms for a while.. what a pain dealing with them .
Poor smart roaches! :lol: They must be petrified. I’m surprised, I thought dubias would multiply pretty readily! Maybe it’s too cool for them. I wonder if red runners could escape and cause problems. 🤔 I have one species that can become a pest and I keep a close eye on them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Poor smart roaches! :lol: They must be petrified. I’m surprised, I thought dubias would multiply pretty readily! Maybe it’s too cool for them. I wonder if red runners could escape and cause problems. 🤔 I have one species that can become a pest and I keep a close eye on them.
They do multiple quickly just half my colony got killed when I wasn’t home for a week or two. All over 1 escape they got killed by rainwater outside 30-50 roaches, either way I probably need more form a different source to keep the bloodline going. I’ve added 10 that’s all this year. Need more soon..
I’m Not sure if any feeeder species can colonize your home , just I know both mine can’t . Maybe someday I’ll try red runners or lobsters but right now nah.
I quit buying that top soil switched to eco earth , because it was too abrasive think it caused a tumor on a lp that died . So I refuse to use anything unless it’s soft enough for a spider. You can cook the dirt then filter it with strainers to get wood chunks and stuff out if it . Or get something else .. :sad:
it’s also possible the soil didn’t cause it and was just naturall, but top soil is heavy so makes harder to carry a cage .
maybe not a smart reason to stop getting top soil perhaps i should try a different brand and or just buy filters to clean it out ? o_O

Last edited:

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
They do multiple quickly just half my colony got killed when I wasn’t home for a week or two. All over 1 escape they got killed by rainwater outside 30-50 roaches, either way I probably need more form a different source to keep the bloodline going. I’ve added 10 that’s all this year. Need more soon..
I’m Not sure if any feeeder species can colonize your home , just I know both mine can’t . Maybe someday I’ll try red runners or lobsters but right now nah.

maybe not a smart reason to stop getting top soil perhaps i should try a different brand and or just buy filters to clean it out ? o_O
I’m sorry to hear about half of your roaches getting wiped out! Introducing a new bloodline is always good!