Nematode cure

Neraz

Arachnopeon
He tested pyrantel ld50 for roaches.
Problem that roach cannot eat enough to die. It's just goes disoriented before it can eat enough.

Letal dose 50 means that this is when half of your animals already dead, and another half is still alive. It specific for every animal.

Anyways, when LD50 was tested for dogs - they must eat some crazy amounts of pyrantel to die. Its greater than 314 mg base per lb of body weight.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Interesting!

If they can't eat enough to die...wonder what the long-term effects are? If there are any.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The assumption though is that you're treating ONLY one type of nematode, those who carry bacteria with them. There is another group who do not, and I suspect this treatment would not be as effective on them, if at all.

Nematodes in tarantulas is similar to heart worms in dogs. They can be treated, but it's very hard on the animal, and often deadly. Prevention, which includes having a zero tolerance for phorid flies, is the only way to cope with these organisms.

I personally suspect we're actually dealing with a dozen different species of nematodes across a few genera. This treatment might work for one of those, so I suggest not having this as a fall back plan to save animals infected by poor husbandry.

I do thank Neraz for posting this, it is the third medicinal based treatment which people have posted about or shared. The first was Dr. Zuum, the second was whispered about at Arachnocon by some of the guest speakers. There was also a heat treatment published in the BTS magazine.

BellaGooty

Arachnopeon
The assumption though is that you're treating ONLY one type of nematode, those who carry bacteria with them. There is another group who do not, and I suspect this treatment would not be as effective on them, if at all.

Nematodes in tarantulas is similar to heart worms in dogs. They can be treated, but it's very hard on the animal, and often deadly. Prevention, which includes having a zero tolerance for phorid flies, is the only way to cope with these organisms.

I personally suspect we're actually dealing with a dozen different species of nematodes across a few genera. This treatment might work for one of those, so I suggest not having this as a fall back plan to save animals infected by poor husbandry.

I do thank Neraz for posting this, it is the third medicinal based treatment which people have posted about or shared. The first was Dr. Zuum, the second was whispered about at Arachnocon by some of the guest speakers. There was also a heat treatment published in the BTS magazine.
Would you happen to know where I can get copies of those articles? Is there anything new regarding how to treat T. with suspected nematode problem?

abyzl

Arachnopeon
I realise this is an old thread but wondered if there was any progression from the initial tests and further findings? I hope to never have the need to treat nematode infections in my tarantulas but am keep to have a solution ready should there ever be an issue and to be able to suggest something to other keepers who may experience this. Thank you :)

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I realise this is an old thread but wondered if there was any progression from the initial tests and further findings? I hope to never have the need to treat nematode infections in my tarantulas but am keep to have a solution ready should there ever be an issue and to be able to suggest something to other keepers who may experience this. Thank you :)
I'm glad you necro'd this, was a good read