Need to know where I might find some C. hentzi in Orlando, FL!

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love scorpions, always had, I drool over the ones my friends have. Sadly my parents aren't to keen on me "wasting" money for a disgusting bug, so buying my own is out of the question. Last year I was fortunate enough to come across a gravid female C. hentzi while out anting. Took her in, and 2 days later she gave birth to a dozen little scorplings. Little did I know the night I wasn't there my mom took the 5 gallon tank with the scorpions and placed them in the patio. Came back to find a couple scorpion parts and the mother dead, eaten by ants and being carried off. Since then I've taken 5+ trips to the same area, but with no luck. Went back this morning and found nothing but a few fleas clinging to my leg and and a couple ring-necked snakes. Question is - where do C. hentzi normaly live? On the ground on rocks and logs? In branches? Or up in the tree and under the bark? Maybe In burrows? Better yet I would like to know somewhere near Longwood, FL (Which is a slighty northwest of Orlando) that has an abundant supply of these little creatures. Thanks.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Odd coincidence... I work everyday in Longwood at the corner of 434 and 17/92.

I've found C. hentzi at Wekeiva springs state park before, down 434 past I4.

Have you been to Pet Bazaar on 436 lately? They have a bunch of scorpions at the moment. I picked up 8 CB C. gracilis from them for 5 bucks each.

There's also a Reptile show at the Fairgrounds in West Orlando this weekend. I'm going tomorrow around noonish. Went a few months ago when the had the same event and they had a HUGE selection of some pretty exclusive stuff for dirt cheap. Picked up an adult P. liosoma female for 15 bucks!

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe it's your searching methods that result in zero C. hentzi. How are you looking for them? Flipping rocks?Logs? etc.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Odd coincidence... I work everyday in Longwood at the corner of 434 and 17/92.

I've found C. hentzi at Wekeiva springs state park before, down 434 past I4.

Have you been to Pet Bazaar on 436 lately? They have a bunch of scorpions at the moment. I picked up 8 CB C. gracilis from them for 5 bucks each.

There's also a Reptile show at the Fairgrounds in West Orlando this weekend. I'm going tomorrow around noonish. Went a few months ago when the had the same event and they had a HUGE selection of some pretty exclusive stuff for dirt cheap. Picked up an adult P. liosoma female for 15 bucks!
I go there all the time, but haven't really seen 5$ scorps! (I'll have to check it out though!) Where at the wekiva state park have you seen C. hentzi? How many? How have you been searching for them? When going for insects I usually drive down the road leading to sand lake, and I'll stop when I see a good tree. (Found some painful hornets, florida blue pedes, but no scorpions) It's risky though due to the rangers, should I go hiking along that trail?

Canth - I do everything. I flip rocks, logs, peel bark, search trees, etc.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ahh just checking. I was in northern FL for a while and had my best luck peeling bark and ripping apart rotting logs. You could try and get a hand held black light and go there at night, but be careful and watch out for venomous snakes.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I hiked down the wekiva trail for a couple hours. It's pretty bushy, but there's a good amount of rotten trees and fallen logs. Lots of centipede, ants, some spiders, but no scorpions. Seemed like a perfect place too. I finally decided to head back when I ran into a 6 foot eastern diamond back rattle snake, yikes.

charlesbrooks

Arachnopeon
The best place to catch scopions in orlando

Sorry, I just found your post. I am willing to share my secret. The very best place to find C. hentzi in Orlando is Tuperware headquarters down by Gatorland. If check by the pines in the field you will find them everywhere. I usually catch one every 15 sec. Just don't forget your blacklight. Now if someone tell where I chould find whip scorpions in the Orlando area, I would be one happy camper