Need survey respondents

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm hoping to hit some people I missed last time...

I'm currently conducting two surveys: one to find out what species you are all keeping and how you feel about your species' potential as display and educational animals, and another survey to find out what tarantula species are being kept by zoos and for what purposes.

The zoos are responding like crazy, but I have only gotten around 10 hobbyist surveys back so far. I'd really like to have more of your input!

This IS an official study, and the results will be provided to everyone involved and will be published as well. If you want to fill out a survey, please email me at tarantulasurvey@hotmail.com and tell me whether you'd like the survey emailed to you as a Word document or if you'd like it snail mailed to your house.

Thanks so much for your time, and a million thanks to those who have already helped me out!

JOANIE

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm emailing you as we speak! Between me and my family, we easily have many hundreds of T's! I'll be interested to see what other people keep, also!

thanks,
peace,
dave

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Survey, eh?

What is the survey information being used for?

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You want the short version or the long version?

Basically: most small and medium zoos (and some larger zoos) do not have knowledgable invertebrate people on staff. I've been working in the zoo field for seven years and I can't tell you how many times I've been to zoos where the invertebrate display consists of Madagascar hissing roaches and a single rosehair.

SO: the zoo half of the survey asks zoos what species of tarantula they're keeping, what they're using the species for, and how satisfied they are with their tarantulas. (If it's being used for education, how educational is it?, etc.) It also asks if the zoos are doing any captive breeding. (I've heard from a couple that are! I was so surprised!)

The hobbyist half of the survey asks what species YOU are all keeping and breeding, and how you would rate each species as a display animal, whether you handle each species, and how you'd rate their handle-ability. (I know, individuals are all different....but this is a survey, I'm dealing in generalizations.)

The results will be presented to zoos as a guide to help them make decisions about what tarantulas would fit best in their collections. The results will be given to all participants (and submitted to the ATS) just under the assumption that maybe you guys would be interested in the findings.

There. That's the short version. Anyone want more details, please email me at tarantulasurvey@hotmail.com

Again, a million thanks to those who have already helped!
JOANIE

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Survey, eh?

Originally posted by D-Man
What is the survey information being used for?
For mind control purposes. Basically, they embedded a hidden message in the survey that tells you at a subconscious level to go out and buy more tarantulas. How else do you propose that we are such addicts?