Need Suggestions

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I just joined this forum today. I just got the go ahead from my husband to get another Tarantula. My very first and only Tarantula was a mature male T. blondi. He passed away about 8 years ago. What would you guys suggest on getting since the T. blondis are hard to find now. I also need suggestions on what to keep the T I get in since my blondi was kept in a 50 gallon tank.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
50 gallon tank? Christ, you offered to that male a Waldorf Astoria suite ah ah :-s

I don't know, I can't not suggest a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her

Of all the Theraphosidae they are of best :kiss:

If you don't mind caring for a hissing sweetheart, of course.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree, a 50 gal is ridiculous..lmao.

Based off your experience with a large heavy feeding t, I will suggest a prettier large spider, A. geniculata.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
:p I had a ton of clutter in that tank. He was my baby so only the best for him lol.

I've been looking at the Avicularia versicolor but literally have no idea on the husbandry for them. I'm kinda thinking about getting a sling but again.. No idea how to care for a sling since my blondi was mature when I got him.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
I agree, a 50 gal is ridiculous..lmao.

Based off your experience with a large heavy feeding t, I will suggest a prettier large spider, A. geniculata.
You've gotten me hooked on A. geniculata. I'm going to be placing my order for one in the next two weeks after I get a set up for the sling.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
:p I had a ton of clutter in that tank. He was my baby so only the best for him lol.

I've been looking at the Avicularia versicolor but literally have no idea on the husbandry for them. I'm kinda thinking about getting a sling but again.. No idea how to care for a sling since my blondi was mature when I got him.
If you're looking into Avicularia sp, this is a great post with basically everything you need to know on husbandry:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

I do however suggest you get a juvi or adult as your first Avicularia, since the slings are more fragile.

But the A.geniculata is a good choice as well, still on my wishlist. :)

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You've gotten me hooked on A. geniculata. I'm going to be placing my order for one in the next two weeks after I get a set up for the sling.
You won't be disappointed! I have an A. geniculata and she's a real beast when it's feeding time! She's also usually out in the open (as opposed to my T. stirmi who spends most of her time in her hide).

The avics are great, too - good webbers and usually out in the open (or at least semi-visible in their web tunnels.)

Awesome! That will be perfect for when I get an Avicularia next year! The sling I'm looking to get is 1/4 in. Would this be a good set up for it? http://www.net-bug.net/apps/webstore/products/show/3284012
That is not the best enclosure for an Avic because it opens at the top and has more floor space than vertical space. That container is suitable for a terrestrial species. I've had a couple of Avics (one raised from a sling until he died of old age, the other a good-sized juvenile now) and both liked to build their webs at or near the top of the enclosure, particularly when younger and in the smaller enclosures like that. If yours webs the way mine did, it will very quickly have the lid of that enclosure solidly webbed in place and you won't be able to open it without destroying the web - and probably having the spider bolt out of the enclosure in the process. What worked best for me is similar enclosures that opened at the bottom. That way, you can lift off the top for feeding, watering, or cage maintenance while leaving the bulk of the webbing undisturbed - and when you open the enclosure, the sling will typically retreat into the safety of her web tunnels at the top of the cage. (That particular enclosure, the lid looks too shallow to simply invert it and use it with the big part on top without all the substrate falling out every time you open it.)

What you need to look for is an enclosure that is designed for an arboreal species, with more vertical space than floor space. Something like this: https://jamiestarantulas.com/image/cache/catalog/00003-2-600x345.jpg for a sling, or this http://www.freewebs.com/bluetarantulainfo/acrylic setup3 lfinal Tcage.jpg for a larger spider. Once they get good-sized, I like this http://www.sears.com/hagen-exo-terr...gclid=CKG19fvj0tACFUZLDQodKn4K1Q&gclsrc=aw.ds for juvenile arboreals because you have the option of opening either the front or the top, depending on where the spider decides to web. (My juvie Avic has recently decided that the top is no longer the best place for webbing and has, instead, webbed the front of the cage shut.)

*Edit: If you meant would that enclosure be suitable for an A. genic sling, then yes - it would be fine.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome! That will be perfect for when I get an Avicularia next year! The sling I'm looking to get is 1/4 in. Would this be a good set up for it? http://www.net-bug.net/apps/webstore/products/show/3284012
That enclosure would be fine for a short while as A genic grow fast and the enclosure states upto 2.5" which won't take an A genic long to reach. Good thing is when you rehouse your genic into a larger enclosure you will be left with an enclosure perfect for a slower growing Brachypelma emilia,smithi,auratum etc

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
That enclosure would be fine for a short while as A genic grow fast and the enclosure states upto 2.5" which won't take an A genic long to reach. Good thing is when you rehouse your genic into a larger enclosure you will be left with an enclosure perfect for a slower growing Brachypelma emilia,smithi,auratum etc
I'm going to be getting an A. genic to start off again and then next year get another T. I'm super excited to finally have another one after 8 years.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm going to be getting an A. genic to start off again and then next year get another T. I'm super excited to finally have another one after 8 years.
I was the same way when i came back to the hobby almost 4 years ago after being away just over 8 years i set a limit of 3 tarantulas and that was as many as i wanted, that lasted a month and it seemed that every month i was either buying that rare species or rescuing that mistreat tarantula and now after losing 1 this week I'm at 48. I think it's great that you're waiting until next year to get another tarantula i just don't think I'd have the patience to wait 31 days

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Owning an A. Geniculata is the equivalent to owning a Rottweiler as far as appetite is concerned. You will not regret owning one.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I love my A. genic! Takes anything that moves in front of her without hesitation and always roaming. By far my favorite T.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
I'm going to be ordering the enclosure for the sling I have picked out, wait for it to get here and then order the sling from Pet Center USA. :) Thank you guys for all your help. Does anybody have a good guide for the Brazilian White Knees? I spent 3 hours doing research on them. I just want some more info. :)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
50 gallon tank? Christ, you offered to that male a Waldorf Astoria suite ah ah :-s

I don't know, I can't not suggest a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her

Of all the Theraphosidae they are of best :kiss:

If you don't mind caring for a hissing sweetheart, of course.
Well, if the OP likes to look at a hole in the substrate..

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I'm going to be ordering the enclosure for the sling I have picked out, wait for it to get here and then order the sling from Pet Center USA. :) Thank you guys for all your help. Does anybody have a good guide for the Brazilian White Knees? I spent 3 hours doing research on them. I just want some more info. :)
I just got one a few weeks ago. When slings, just lightly wet one side of the sub by water dish overflow. Otherwise, they are super easy to keep. They are eating machines, but don't be surprised if it jumps at you when you are moving it :D Mine did and I almost had to change my clothes ;) Aggresive little guys when hungry.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
I just got one a few weeks ago. When slings, just lightly wet one side of the sub by water dish overflow. Otherwise, they are super easy to keep. They are eating machines, but don't be surprised if it jumps at you when you are moving it :D Mine did and I almost had to change my clothes ;) Aggresive little guys when hungry.
Hehe I cannot wait for mine to get here! What do you feed yours?