Need Suggestions

cold blood

Staff member
As for substrate, coco fiber, jungle mix, eco earth, peat moss or cheap top soil are all perfectly fine options. Its a matter of personal preference. Many swear by coco fiber, others insist on peat, I personally prefer topsoil as its clearly the most "natural" option as that's what wild ts live on. Its also by far the cheapest option, and that matters a lot more when you have larger collections. With just one or a few, cost is less of an issue.

Plants that are not plastic can be used, but its not suggested. These have dyes and sometimes even perfumes. To use them I will soak them...not just for hours, but literally for weeks, changing the water at least once a day. In the first week or so, I constantly see a soapy like foam on the surface.

Any plastic plant you find in a pet store will do though and its a better option. Get the bigger chunks and just cut them into the sizes needed. There are no plants made specifically for ts...there's actually not much of anything in pet stores specifically made for ts.

Last edited:

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
That will NOT work. First, its still unbelievably large for a sling, on top of that, the general rule with Kritter Keepers is 1.75" MINIMUM. A sling will walk right out of that.

USE A 16oz DELI CUP.
Gotcha! I'll head over to my store tomorrow and pick a couple up.

cold blood

Staff member
I ventilate with a couple spaced rings around the side, and 4 holes on the lid. I make the holes with a pin or tack, then run a toothpick though the holes to make them uniform. Most places will give you one or a couple.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry if I'm being a pain. I have another question. I found this in my cabinets. It holds 54 fluid ounces. Would this work for a sling? It's an old Rubbermaid container and how would I clean it if I can use it.

Attachments

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could use that, just wash with mild soap solution and rinse very well. (And melt some air holes with a hot nail or small soldering iron) But it's much better to have a clear container so you can see your T. It's frustrating to have to open the lid just to see how it's doing.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
You could use that, just wash with mild soap solution and rinse very well. (And melt some air holes with a hot nail or small soldering iron) But it's much better to have a clear container so you can see your T. It's frustrating to have to open the lid just to see how it's doing.
OK. Thankfully my roommate is going out shortly to look for some containers for me so I can stay home with my 3 month old.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sorry if I'm being a pain. I have another question. I found this in my cabinets. It holds 54 fluid ounces. Would this work for a sling? It's an old Rubbermaid container and how would I clean it if I can use it.
It caaaan work, but I wouldn't use it. I've tried such things, bad idea because, 1. The top is too rigid, so you can't just peel back a small area, not only that, but just opening it gently when trying not to spook a small t is just about impossible. 2. And this is the biggest reason I wouldn't use it...they are INCERDIBLY difficult to ventilate.

A deli cup also offer significantly better visibility.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
It caaaan work, but I wouldn't use it. I've tried such things, bad idea because, 1. The top is too rigid, so you can't just peel back a small area, not only that, but just opening it gently when trying not to spook a small t is just about impossible. 2. And this is the biggest reason I wouldn't use it...they are INCERDIBLY difficult to ventilate.

A deli cup also offer significantly better visibility.
Okay. As I said above my roommate is going out in an hour or so to get me some deli cups if he can. I now just need to figure out what kind of "hide" to put in for it. I was thinking a bottle cap since I have a ton of bottles around.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey its no biggie. People starting out like to see enclosures in everything, and experimentation is how you figure the good from the bad, and once you do, you start ignoring all those things that looked so usable in the past. I made many container mistakes like this, and in the end, I'd just rather have the containers for leftovers....especially considering just how cheap the deli cup is....People are always trying to improve on the lowly deli cup, but its still the best friend of the t keeper. Cheap, high visibility, easy as pie to ventilate, pliable lid and stackable, they're just about darn near perfect for ts under 3".

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
Hey its no biggie. People starting out like to see enclosures in everything, and experimentation is how you figure the good from the bad, and once you do, you start ignoring all those things that looked so usable in the past. I made many container mistakes like this, and in the end, I'd just rather have the containers for leftovers....especially considering just how cheap the deli cup is....People are always trying to improve on the lowly deli cup, but its still the best friend of the t keeper. Cheap, high visibility, easy as pie to ventilate, pliable lid and stackable, they're just about darn near perfect for ts under 3".
True. I do know once it's big enough not to escape out of the ventilation holes I want to put it in a nice enclosure. I was actually looking at this enclosure.. https://www.amazon.com/Dalle-Craft-...55854&sr=8-1&keywords=egyptian+amphibian+tank

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
Also I live in South Carolina.. The temperature during the day has been staying about 70 and at night it's reachingoing the 40s. My room stays about 70 as well. Would you suggest ordering next week or wait till spring?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
cold blood said:
Tim, that may have been one of the few posts I've read from you that didn't make me laugh. Very informative my friend:) I'm also a fan of mealies for slings in a big way.
Yeah, well, if I waited until I actually had something useful to contribute, I'd still have a post-count in the teens, and I've been here since 2004! :D

I found myself on need of some when somebody offered me a dozen baby Asian forest scorpions. (They never delivered). Anyway, I went to the deli in a nearby grocery store and inquired about buying some empty ones. The girl called a manager and he said to just give them to me, so you may try that...they are cheap anyway, but if you can't find them for sale, it could be an option.

cold blood said:
1. The top is too rigid, so you can't just peel back a small area, not only that, but just opening it gently when trying not to spook a small t is just about impossible.
You know, I've found that to be the only down-side to some deli-containers as well. Probably depends on the rigidity of the plastic they are made of. But you are still spot-on with your evaluation of the container shown. Those things can be murder to open gently. Much worse than the stiffest of deli-cup lids.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks good. Boiling probably not necessary, the container might melt actually. Just clean it really well.

Shelby Schulze

Arachnopeon
Looks good. Boiling probably not necessary, the container might melt actually. Just clean it really well.
Alrighty. I'm going to be ordering another enclosure this weekend for when it gets bigger just so I'll have it.