Need Suggestions for a 8x8x12 Tank

Regal Jumpers

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty new to arachnids in general, I've only owned some Regal Jumping Spiders and a ghost mantis. I set up a 8x8x12 Zoo Med tank for a jumping spider, but I realized it was WAY to big. Now I have this really nice planted tank set up with nothing in it. I'm thinking about branching out into tarantulas or other species of mantids. Any suggestions are appreciated!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot depends on the orientation and setup of the tank. Pictures would be helpful. Is it planted with live plants, or decorated with fake ones? What kind and depth of substrate does it have? How is it ventilated?

Is this one of the vertical tanks, that's 12" tall and has a door on the front? If so, it is not going to be suitable for any terrestrial tarantula species, though it could be used for an arboreal tarantula. Terrestrial tarantulas should never have more than 1.5 times their diagonal leg span between the top of the enclosure and the top of the substrate, because even terrestrial species can climb, but a fall can be fatal. In a 12" tank, that's going to require piling the substrate fairly deep - which that front-opening door (and the ventilation holes below the door) will not permit. An arboreal tarantula - such as an Avicularia or Caribena species would be fine, because they don't need the deep substrate and they are fine with a tall cage. They do need plenty of anchor points - such as sticks, branches, or plants - to construct their webs.

There are plenty of other things that do great in those 8x8x12(tall) tanks. One possiblitity would be amblypygi. I have Damon diadema in these tanks, with shallow substrate and a long piece of cork bark angled diagonally in the tank for the whip spider to climb on - and to hang underneath for molting. You can also keep assassin bugs in them, such as Platymeris biguttatus or Psytalla horrida. A mantis would do well if the cage is well-ventilated. There are a number of true spiders that can also be kept in cages like that, including huntsman spiders, "flatties" (Selenops sp.), and black widows, just to name a few.

Sikalisko

Arachnopeon
Just throwing a suggestion without knowing that much about these animals but what about some weird looking harvestman? At least I've seen some on sale in online stores but I have no idea if there are any easily available in the US at the moment.

I believe some species are communal and unlike other arachnids, they can also eat dead or solid food, which might be or might not be a plus (they are usually bad hunters afaik). At least to me, the idea of an arachnid munching on a piece of carrot is quite amusing.

Most of the harvestmen are quite small though. The terrarium would be "wasted" unless you find a communal species.

If nothing else, suggesting this obscure group gives contrast and makes the critter you end up choosing feel even better choice out of all the possibilities. Other options would be a pet stone and house fly, to inflate the list even more :D

Regal Jumpers

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the idea of harvestmen, I didn't even think of them! As for the tank orientation, its 12" tall, with a creeping charlie and some species of small pothos, idk the exact one though. I'm gonna look into these suggestions, thx ppl!

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
if you do go with some live plants or too and or get some braches in there, you can probably get a stick bug in there, along with some milliepedes? Peaceful tank

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Personally, I don't think those dimensions are 'WAY' too big for P regius. But that really depends on your reasons. Do you say its too big for feeding reasons?

Sikalisko

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the idea of harvestmen, I didn't even think of them! As for the tank orientation, its 12" tall, with a creeping charlie and some species of small pothos, idk the exact one though. I'm gonna look into these suggestions, thx ppl!
You're welcome! :)

I believe Amblypygids will always be my main focus of interest in Arthropods, excluding crustaceans. But after coming across some harvestmen species sold as pets and later googling pictures with keywords "colorful harvestman" or "tropical harvestman" I became convinced that it's actually a crime against humanity that some of those walking jewels are not commonly available in pet stores or offered by hobbyists. Hopefully they will become the next new thing at some point.

Regal Jumpers

Arachnopeon
This was actually not a p. regius but a p. audax, which are a bit smaller, and yeah, it had some trouble with feeding when i moved it to the bigger enclosure

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
This was actually not a p. regius but a p. audax, which are a bit smaller, and yeah, it had some trouble with feeding when i moved it to the bigger enclosure
I had the same problem with my p. audax, initially. I’ve been using a clear 5.5 oz deli cup to feed them. Put the prey item in the cup, then the cup in the enclosure.

Or, if you handle yours, present their prey items to them in the cup.

My critter keeper is 8x8x10, i think you could be successful with your original plan, but there’s no way I would ever talk you out of getting a bunny harvestman! Those critters are freakin gorgeous!

My p. audax setup.
04074354-59F9-4D1D-B3CD-B81B0EF2D16A.jpeg 1F7DE4E5-F48A-4949-A702-16EFDABB8AE9.jpeg
P. regius on the right. Having the two next to each other results in frequent Phidippus stand offs lol
CCA754E2-E996-4DF1-B961-3B311D095283.jpeg
Hoping to get 10x10x10 glass enclosures this winter. Critter keepers suck, but they are useful to experiment with.

Attachments