Need suggestions for a 2nd Scorpion

Jeeper Slick

Arachnopeon
I've had my Emperor for awhile, and now I want to get another one. I've been told I can keep a red clawed in the same enclosure with my Emperor. Is that true ?

Next question is, can you get the more venomous species as well ? I would love to get a Death Stalker later on.

Thanks in advance.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you can, i wouldnt suggest it, the more dangerous ones play dead and are insanely quick and unpredictable, unlike the slow moving emperors

i'd suggest all three of these

1. H arizonensis
2. V. spinigerus
3. H. troglodytes

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first scorp was a babycurus jacksoni. I wouldn't consider them as dangerous as say a parabuthus, androctonous, or LQ. There sting does pack a punch though.

Matt

Jeeper Slick

Arachnopeon
Wow, I am a noob, Im having to Google the names you guys are using for the Scorpions lol

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You'll learn man lol. Scientific names are difficult at first. Babycurus jacksoni "red or rusty thick-tail"(I believe that's the common name.)

Matt

Jeeper Slick

Arachnopeon
How do you measure them ? Is it just their body length, or do you add in tail too ? The body on my emperor is about 2", I know he isnt very big.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure on the measuring question. You may try a quick search on here. I'm sure it's been asked before.

Matt

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure on the measuring question. You may try a quick search on here. I'm sure it's been asked before.

Matt
most measure from head, not including claws, to tail stretched out. give or take. i didnt suggest babycurus as they are a jump up from emperors. h arizonensis are a great way to work up to them, as they are fiesty and active.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My jacksoni was prett calm, but then again that doesn't mean they all are.

Jeeper Slick

Arachnopeon
My Emperor is very aggressive. When I reach in to give him water, I have to use an ink ben to keep him away from my hand, and he is contantly trying to bite and sting it.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hadogenes paucidens was my second scorpion. They are not very aggressive and have a very mild venom. Mine has a 2.5-3 inch body and is probably my favorite scorpion. Hadogenes troglodytes is very similar but a bit less colorful, paucidens are commonly called ocher keeled flat rock scorpions btw.

A small, mildly venomous and very feisty scorpion I keep is the Centruroides vittatus or western bark scorpion. They are not the arizona bark scorpion which is considered more toxic and are a fun species to watch. These guys like to climb on bark and wood leans but be careful to keep them plenty away from the lid because they are escape artists. I awoke one morning to find one hanging upside-down on the screen lid because the bark was too high. Almost an escapee, lesson learned. :)

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aside from the suggestions, I wouldn't keep the red clawed in the same tank as the emp.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I 2nd the Hadrurus arizonensis, the Pandinus cavimanus or Red Claw wouldn't be a bad 2nd one either. Do not keep a Red Claw with your emperor scorpion though you will most likely end up with a dead emperor scorpion within a few days if not instantly. Never mix any 2 species of scorpion or you'll end up with one fat one. Some can't even be kept in the same tank with their own species, do some research and always check multiple sources for similarities as there can be some false / bad info floating around out there, especially on the net.

Welcome to the hobby, it's a lot of fun :razz:

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have many hots including the death stalker...But I suggest a H arizonensis
I have 2 adults and the are kinda a fast,aggressive,nice colored,hardy,and not that bad of a sting,but great stepping stone to work your way up to the "Hotter" scorps;)

Be careful and enjoy and glad you are researching and testing the waters before you jump right in.;)

Cool.