Need someone to clear this up with B. smithi x B. Hamorii

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Different species, there's a few things to look for to tell them apart (tibial markings/patella markings/trochanter colouration, one of the hamorii variants also has cheliceral banding), you can't use carapace colouration to tell them apart as there's far too much variation between individuals of both species.

hamorii vs smithi.jpg

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
So are they actually 2 different species or locales?
They are two different species in different locales. In pet trade, however, B. hamorii were all misidentified as B. smithi, and they are more common. Besides that, B. annitha was synonymized with B. smithi, which leaded to more confusion and mistakes.

Here's the thing, though. As mentioned above, there are 2 different color variations of B. hamorii, and if I remember correctly, there are more than 2 different color variations also in B. smithi so, for the untrained eyes (like mines, lol), it can be difficult/hard to tell them apart.

There are two articles made by Jorge Mendoza, one specific on the "Red Knees" (2017) and other for the whole Brachypelma genus and the division of some of them to Tliltocatl (2020).

I don’t believe in this “hobby form” albo idea at all.
I think this "hobby form" thing refers to the hybrid individuals, or at least, I read something like that few years ago.

Imo, it's nonsense, even though the wild specimens are different, there's no way one can confirm all "hobby forms" are hybrids. Haha. Not to mention, they can be another variant of T. albopilosus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are two different species in different locales. In pet trade, however, B. hamorii were all misidentified as B. smithi, and they are more common. Besides that, B. annitha was synonymized with B. smithi, which leaded to more confusion and mistakes.

Here's the thing, though. As mentioned above, there are 2 different color variations of B. hamorii, and if I remember correctly, there are more than 2 different color variations also in B. smithi so, for the untrained eyes (like mines, lol), it can be difficult/hard to tell them apart.

There are two articles made by Jorge Mendoza, one specific on the "Red Knees" (2017) and other for the whole Brachypelma genus and the division of some of them to Tliltocatl (2020).

I think this "hobby form" thing refers to the hybrid individuals, or at least, I read something like that few years ago.

Imo, it's nonsense, even though the wild specimens are different, there's no way one can confirm all "hobby forms" are hybrids. Haha. Not to mention, they can be another variant of T. albopilosus.
True- but new people write "I think I have a Nic or the hobby form". which is complete crap.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Different species, there's a few things to look for to tell them apart (tibial markings/patella markings/trochanter colouration, one of the hamorii variants also has cheliceral banding), you can't use carapace colouration to tell them apart as there's far too much variation between individuals of both species.

View attachment 360520
The patella is the most tellling for me. I agree on the carapace.