Need some thoughts of my vinegaroon

Vladbyun

Arachnopeon
Hello ladies and gentleman
I just adopted a new baby vinegaroon.
Well the first day, this dude explore around the enclosure, and seem relaxing in the hide I provides. However, the next day, he started to pile up this wall of substrates at the entrance. I first thought he hated light or prefer the solitude environment, but just came into mind about their feeding context. I first freed two small mealworms, which were found to roam around the enclosure the next day.
So what do you guys think I should do? It has been nearly a week since it came here, but just sealed off the entrance with the substrates. I cannot find any signs of hunting at this point:/

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
NEVER leave mealworms to wander/bury. Did you get them both out? Mealworms WILL eat/kill a moulting tarantula/spider/vinegaroon/scorpion. Your vinegaroon is showing signs of moulting. They burrow down so they're safe from predators. However they're NOT safe from mealworms.

What substrate is that you're using?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
It might be bunkerin down for winter bit younger instars do tend to molt when it gets colder.

Vladbyun

Arachnopeon
NEVER leave mealworms to wander/bury. Did you get them both out? Mealworms WILL eat/kill a moulting tarantula/spider/vinegaroon/scorpion. Your vinegaroon is showing signs of moulting. They burrow down so they're safe from predators. However they're NOT safe from mealworms.

What substrate is that you're using?
oh, it is a mixture of vermiculit and coconut fiber, which holds humidity well and never have to worry about molds.
It has been proven for the T's and scorpions to do well upon that substrate :)

I got rid of those worms as well. I'd rather pre-killed the mealworm just in case if they will eat.
Thanks for the advice!

basin79

ArachnoGod
oh, it is a mixture of vermiculit and coconut fiber, which holds humidity well and never have to worry about molds.
It has been proven for the T's and scorpions to do well upon that substrate :)

I got rid of those worms as well. I'd rather pre-killed the mealworm just in case if they will eat.
Thanks for the advice!
Ah right. I just use moss peat.

Meal/mario worms are fine you just have to make sure they don't bury. But prekilled work well anyway as they still move.

My vinegaroon disappeared for about 7 months this time but came out of her chamber larger and hungry. Don't expect your little 1 to be burrowed that long though.

Vladbyun

Arachnopeon
Ah right. I just use moss peat.

Meal/mario worms are fine you just have to make sure they don't bury. But prekilled work well anyway as they still move.

My vinegaroon disappeared for about 7 months this time but came out of her chamber larger and hungry. Don't expect your little 1 to be burrowed that long though.
Oh wow, 7 months...that makes me feel assured :)
Thanks!

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
For new and experienced keepers I swear by and recommend the book on the subject of vinegaroon by Orin McMonigle called:
The Forgotten Order of the Vinegaroons- Whipscorpion Biology, Husbandry and Natural History.
Mr.McMonigle is a dedicated keeper of many different insects,arachnids and more. He has accurate detailed I formation and beautiful pictures too. If you want to have a healthy thriving vinegaroon then you should read this book. Don't forget to give your little moisture and putting large anchored rocks will aid the vinegaroon in molting as well. I am setting up a breeding program and have several that hang on to high grab-able sticks and rocks which they have suspended themselves from to aid in molting. Some keepers put rug hooking plastic glued to a piece of rock or wood because they can also then hang from it easily and pull faster. Great pets. I adore mine Best of luck.