need some help

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright I want to start a communal 55 gallon tank (I have done this before with H. Spinfer didn't go so well, almost gave up on keeping scorpions and stick with T's).
Well I have decided to try it again, this time using either P. Smithi, P. Militaris, P. Viatoris or possibly even H. Laotics. I know that H. Laotics can be held communaly I'm not quite sure about the others, So if any one can give me some tips that would be great.
My other problem is that I can't find any of these SP. for sale any where if any one konws where I can buy them, or has them for sale please send me a PM or a e-mail to jarviscason@yahoo.com thanks.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haven't been looking in classifieds recently, but that's where I'd look.

Personally though, I would stock it with C. vittatus and try to emulate C. Texas (Austin) habitat with plants, fake or real. If you use real, read up a lot, they can be problematic, but not always. Good luck and have fun! :)

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i checked the for sell and trade page and I put up a WTB ad, haven't gotten any thing back.
I will be using fake plants, the 55 gallon is actually already set up for a jungle habitat, I just need the scops.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm still looking for the above sp.(P. Militaris, P. Viatoris or possibly even H. Laotics) however I would also love to get Heterometrus Swammerdammi.
If anyone has any of the above Sp. please let me know I am extremely interested, also if anyone knows if any of these sp. are communal, or has any tips on any of these sp. in a communal setup please let me know.

Gregg M

Arachnopeon
I would go with one of the Centruroides species like C. gracilis, C. hentzi, or C. vittatus... They do great in communal cages, they are easy to care for, and are very prolific...

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You are going to probably have problems finding those species. And even if you do, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to aquire any amount of them that would fill a 55g. Centruroides on the other hand are readily available and considerably cheaper.

If you want what you want, then by all means, go find them. But don't be surprised if you don't or can't afford them. But you really would have an easier time with Centruroides or Pandinus imperator.

P. imperator
C. vittatus
C. hentzi
C. gracilis
C. guanensis

These can all live in forested humid terrariums. Another option would be T. stigmurus, but they are hot and more expensive, but at least available. :)

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I still would like to use the above sp. and I know that it's going to cost me (espeacialy H. Swammerdammi, the only place that has one (and i do mean only one) for sale is charging $150 for one)
if all else I would use H. Spinfer or H. Longimanus. I really don't want to use P. imperator.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm still looking for the above sp.(P. Militaris, P. Viatoris or possibly even H. Laotics) however I would also love to get Heterometrus Swammerdammi.
If anyone has any of the above Sp. please let me know I am extremely interested, also if anyone knows if any of these sp. are communal, or has any tips on any of these sp. in a communal setup please let me know.
Hi,

I you want P.militaris, look for P.cavimanus. P.militaris is a (junior) synonym, meaning, they belong to the same species and the name P.cavimanus should be used.
P.militaris is mostly used by sellers, that want extra bucks for a common species....
P.viatoris is extremely rare in hobby collections, so don't get your hopes up. H.swammerdami is available in the states, meaning I know that hobbyists have them, but they are expensive, even in Europe. Another thing is, that they are not the classic example of a "communal" species....

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I still would like to use the above sp. and I know that it's going to cost me (espeacialy H. Swammerdammi, the only place that has one (and i do mean only one) for sale is charging $150 for one)
if all else I would use H. Spinfer or H. Longimanus. I really don't want to use P. imperator.
That's cool. If you have the money and can make it happen, by all means, I won't tell you not to!

Just out of curiosity though, why not a Centruroides species? :?

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's cool. If you have the money and can make it happen, by all means, I won't tell you not to!

Just out of curiosity though, why not a Centruroides species? :?
I would like to use a bigger sp., since they will be held in a 55 gallon tank. If I was using a smaller tank like a 20 gallon I would consider using a smaller sp. I want to be able to see them in there, a smaller sp. would get lost in a 55 gallon, and not to mention how many a 55 gallon would be able to hold, I wouldn't have to buy as many larger sp.