Need some help with the new cat

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi everyone
i just got a 2.5 yr old male maine coon (fixed) yesterday
My friend said Berry(his name) is very friendly and won't even move when he got his nails clipped
he has been hiding under my bed for the past 24 hrs, and whenever i tried to approach, he opened his mouth and started hissing, then pounced me
my 1 yd old bengal doesn't really mind this new comer's presence, but he is still cautious toward him
i gave him my room with water, litter box and food, trying to give him his own space at night and some interaction with my bengal during the day time
so I m just wondering how long will it take for Berry to settle down?

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
It will probably take a couple of weeks. We got a new cat in January, added her to our two exsisting cats. Took her 3 weeks or more to finally come out of the room we set her up in to start with. The cats STILL dont get along, but our first two are cantankerous, evil, vile beasts!!
Just dont push him. Talk kindly and bring him treats but let him hide if he wants.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cats often take at least a week or so to become comfortable with new surroundings, and with a breed like a Maine Coon, with lots of wild instincts very much intact, it could be longer. I used to have Maine Coons, along with "real" wildcats like bobcats, and in my experience the Maine Coons were every bit as much wild animals as the bobcats, in spite of being a registerable breed. They exhibit a lot of unique traits that I've never seen in domesticated cats, and like a hand-raised bobcat, will often be very friendly with familiar people, and on familiar turf, but once they are taken out of their familiar environment and exposed to strange people, they can be very defensive. With a cat this size, that means they can mess you up really bad! Give the cat his space, and don't push him. Let him choose to introduce himself to YOU. Leave some food and water out where he can smell it, and when he gets hungry or thirsty enough, he'll come out, for a bit longer at a time. Right now, he feels like underneath furniture is his only safe hiding place, his den, and if you crawling under there, and corner him, it might not be too fun what could happen. One of my Maine Coons used to play-wrestle with my male Pit Bull, who weighed 65 pounds, and the cat could easily take the dog down and pin him by the neck, just like what you see lions on the Serengetti doing to antelope. The dog would be absolutely helpless to get up until the cat was ready for him to get up, and the cat's canine teeth were every bit as large as the dog's. If you have that sort of animal, motivated by fear, it's best not to push him.

pitbulllady

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree. It took our own cat about 2 weeks... had her 7+ years... to get used to our new place when we moved. We just let her do it on her own and now there's no space in here that she doesn't occupy :)

Good Luck!

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for everyone's advice. This is my second cat so far. I hope He will get along with my Bengal
BTW, i found their voice kind like dog growling, which makes me a bit nervous...
i thought my Bengal is big enough, but now i know he is totaly out of the league compare to Maine Coon breed...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for everyone's advice. This is my second cat so far. I hope He will get along with my Bengal
BTW, i found their voice kind like dog growling, which makes me a bit nervous...
i thought my Bengal is big enough, but now i know he is totaly out of the league compare to Maine Coon breed...
Maine Coons and bobcats also can "bark", making a loud, sharp sound much like a dog's bark, when they see something alarming. Mine would sit at the door and look out, and if someone came down the driveway, he'd bark to let me know! These cats are really even more like wild cats than Bengals are, even though with the Bengal breed, at least it's acknowledged that there's wild blood back there. With the Maine Coons, the breeders vehemently deny any connection with the wild at all(like concocting that story of how they are the decendents of Marie Antoinette's palace cats), even though old Maine residents will tell you that these cats do still live in the north woods, far from humans. Having had both these and "real" wild felids gave me a chance to compare the two that most people don't get.

pitbulllady

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
update:
Berry is more relaxed, and he came out of his hide few times and looked at me when he was sitting infront of the window, but still growling when i get too closed!