Need some help with questions about my avic

Bruce Kinney

Arachnopeon
I'm new to this thread and very new to owning a T. A friend of mine had a avic and was moving and decided to give it to me. I don't really know anything about them. The cage she gave me is about a foot tall and about 10 inches wide on all 4 sides. When I got it there was no plants or wood of any kind for my T to climb. But it made a web nest in the corner which it stays in most of the time. I've only see. It come out once. I've read many threads and they all say the same as you. To have things inside for it to climb. My question is this, if I add a hollow tube of some sort for my T to use as a hiding place, should I tear down the web nest it already has built? I'm afraid if I put things in the cage and don't take the web nest down then my T will never use the new items to nest in. Also for the past 2 weeks I've had her she has yet to eat. I've read in some of these post that they usually tend to build a web nest when getting ready to molt. Could this be the case? Thank you so much in advance for any possible help on getting me in the right direction with my new T. Since having her I've been so intrigued and have been reading and trying to learn so much about her and other Ts as well. I'm sure she is the first of many that I'll own lol. Thank you again for taking the time to read this and help me out.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I would not tear the web nest down. I would add more things for it to climb on and web, and let it do whatever it feels like. Tarantulas are nocturnal, so you may wake up one morning to see that it has been out happily webbing stuff.

Good ventilation is really important with avics...how is the enclosure in this regard?

Don't worry too much about the food, as they can go a long time without it. Offer it every week or two, and remove what is not eaten. They do need access to water at all times, though.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm new to this thread and very new to owning a T. A friend of mine had a avic and was moving and decided to give it to me. I don't really know anything about them. The cage she gave me is about a foot tall and about 10 inches wide on all 4 sides. When I got it there was no plants or wood of any kind for my T to climb. But it made a web nest in the corner which it stays in most of the time. I've only see. It come out once. I've read many threads and they all say the same as you. To have things inside for it to climb. My question is this, if I add a hollow tube of some sort for my T to use as a hiding place, should I tear down the web nest it already has built? I'm afraid if I put things in the cage and don't take the web nest down then my T will never use the new items to nest in. Also for the past 2 weeks I've had her she has yet to eat. I've read in some of these post that they usually tend to build a web nest when getting ready to molt. Could this be the case? Thank you so much in advance for any possible help on getting me in the right direction with my new T. Since having her I've been so intrigued and have been reading and trying to learn so much about her and other Ts as well. I'm sure she is the first of many that I'll own lol. Thank you again for taking the time to read this and help me out.
It sounds like your Avic has settled in and has made the web tubes they use for their homes. If so I'd not tear it down without there being a problem.

Take some photos of the enclosure and T (if you ca) so we can see the setup. We'll be able to give a lot better advice from that.

Bruce Kinney

Arachnopeon
I would not tear the web nest down. I would add more things for it to climb on and web, and let it do whatever it feels like. Tarantulas are nocturnal, so you may wake up one morning to see that it has been out happily webbing stuff.

Good ventilation is really important with avics...how is the enclosure in this regard?

Don't worry too much about the food, as they can go a long time without it. Offer it every week or two, and remove what is not eaten. They do need access to water at all times, though.
From what I've read I may need to look at getting a new cage. I'll upload a pic of it. But its the cage that came with it. There are no vertical vent holes but the top has lots of ventilation.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
From what I've read I may need to look at getting a new cage. I'll upload a pic of it. But its the cage that came with it. There are no vertical vent holes but the top has lots of ventilation.
That enclosure is not setup for an Avic at all. They need taller webbing anchor points and good ventilation. That is really baron and it gives the T little options for setting up a good home.

Here is what your Avic enclosure should look like. It doesn't have to be a bottom opening enclosure (though I prefer them) but it does need a good base spot for the arboreal to climb on and lots of anchor points to make it's web funnel home. It doesn't need a "hide" as it will web and make it's own. Ensure it has good ventilation and then add a water dish.

Here is a top opening cup setup (I used this one with a pokie but the idea is the same):

Last edited:

Bruce Kinney

Arachnopeon
That enclosure is not setup for an Avic at all. They need taller webbing anchor points and good ventilation. That is really baron and it gives the T little options for setting up a good home.

Here is what your Avic enclosure should look like. It doesn't have to be a bottom opening enclosure (though I prefer them) but it does need a good base spot the arboreal to climb on and lots of anchor points for the Avic to make it's web funnel home. It doesn't need a "hide" as it will web and make it's own. Ensure it hase good ventilation and then add a water dish.
Do I need to get rid of the cage all together or can I just add anchor points and things for it to climb?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Take some close shots of it's current home/funnel if you can.

We'll help you get this guy setup right. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Do I need to get rid of the cage all together or can I just add anchor points and things for it to climb?
What size it the T? If he is smaller than 3 inches DLS then I'd put him in something smaller. If bigger this will likely work ok. You'd need to add a lot of climbing and anchor points for him to web on.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If you kept it, the screen lid would need to be replaced with a piece of acrylic w/ air holes drilled in it. Although, if the sides of the tank are glass and there is no way to drill holes in them for good ventilation, it might be best to start over with something you can modify. Cleaning, watering, and removing uneaten prey in that tank might be a real bear if you can only go in through the top, also.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you kept it, the screen lid would need to be replaced with a piece of acrylic w/ air holes drilled in it. Although, if the sides of the tank are glass and there is no way to drill holes in them for good ventilation, it might be best to start over with something you can modify. Cleaning and feeding in that tank might be a real bear if you can only go in through the top, also.
I would swap out the screen and then drill it with a lot of vents. If the top has adequate vents in it it should be ok without any on the sides.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, we need to get that guy a better setup. How big is he?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is what it looks like when they web up the home. It's off the ground and gives them a good hide. This is why a good climbing surface and lots of anchor points are important.

You want more webbing anchor points (leaves) for an Avic but here is a setup that would work for your current enclosure. The leaned corkbark gives a good climbing surface and the fake leaves are great anchor points.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
These were taken 2 nights ago when it came out. It looks to be roughly 2 to 2.5 inches.
He is a bit small for that enclosure but it should be ok if you make the changes like I posted. Lean a good base climbing object (cork or wood) and hot glue a lot of cluttered anchor points to it. I wouldn't mist you enclosure just add a water dish (no sponge needed they can't drown) and call it good.

Eventually, I'd swap out the screen for Plexiglas drilled with a lot of ventilation.

Feel free to ask/post as you make changes and we'll answer/help with them.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby. :)

Bruce Kinney

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much. I used to mist the enclosure because that's what YouTube said to do lol. But after finding the forum I no longer mist it. And I already took the sponge out of the water dish. I'm going to town today to get different things to put inside. Now I'm really excited to fix up my Ts cage and really watch it grow. Thank you everyone, I greatly appreciate it!!!

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I keep some of mine in pretzel containers with ventilation all around and some cork bark with plants glued on.
IMG_1384.JPG

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I say get a new enclosure for the avic, but keep the old one. Obviously still get a new lid, but it could make a nifty juvie home for a terrestrial, if you ever get one. With a whole bunch of substrate, anyways.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
no that's a bugarium tank. I have several aboreals in those they work great. You should tape the top with heavy duty tape and poke a bunch of holes for ventilation. The tape is just to keep your spider from getting his leg caught in the screen. Add a piece of cork and maybe a fake plant stuck to the side and you're set.