Need some help/advice ASAP!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was just checking on a bunch of new tarantulas I got on Wednesday. As I was checking, one of the CHilean Rose tarantulas was very sluggish. As I picked her up, I noticed that her abdomen had ruptured. In an area around the booklungs, there was a mucusy blob hanging out.
I'm not sure if it is a parasite possibly or just a rupture. Is there anything I can do, or should I euthanize her to end her suffering. Her abdomen is really black, could it possibly be a molt complication.
Please respond soon.
Thanks!
Ralph

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
If the tarantula is indeed bleeding from a large wound, the chances of saving it are very slim. I've had success sealing small puncture type wounds with liquid bandage (Nu-skin). Nail glue or superglue are other possibilities, and in a pinch I've made do with cornstarch and toilet paper.

After treatment, the tarantula should be removed to an ICU container (clean deli container with damp paper towel substrate and shallow water dish). Access to water is very important to help rehydrate the spider after a loss of blood.

I do hope it's possible to save her. Has the spider recently molted, or is she about to molt? It occurs to me that she might actually be molting, thus explaining the liquid, but in that case it would be a thinner, more watery liquid rather than a mucilaginous one.

In any case, good luck.

Joy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry,

It sounds like the blob is its gut. I dont know how you'd put it back in place. And if you pushed it back in, you'd have to super glue the skin shut.

I think I'd put it down..Sorry. But you'll have to make the final call. :(

Ernie

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.
I decided to euthanize it last night when it started to curl. The wound was pretty bad and the stuff hanging out of it looked like its its guts.
I ended up putting it in the freezer to alleviate its suffering.
It was one of the harder things I've had to do.
Man I'm bummed!
Thanks again!
Ralph

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aw Ralph I am So sorry about your loss. (hugs).
It's always a hard call to put a pet down, but if they suffer badly it has to be done.
It doesn't make it easy knowing you did the right thing.
But at least you Know you did the right thing for your pet.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
man, i hate it when bad things happen to good spiders! sorry to hear about that ralph. but you did the right thing.

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss it's never any good to loss a T !!:(

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ralph, that really really stinks...sorry to hear that.
Condolences
Holley