Need some advice on building a natural style H.Lividum tank

bkkspider

Arachnopeon
Hi, I've just come back into this hobby after picking up a wc adult female H. Lividum the other day at a local market (I live in Bangkok).

I have read everybody saying they are aggressive, phychotic etc. but I think I can keep it safely as long as I set up the tank right and treat the spider with a bit of respect and a bit of distance.

I know I will have a pet hole but that doesn't bother me, I don't need to see the spider much, what I want to make is a nice looking tank that shows a bit of Thailand's rain forest floor with a hole in it somewhere a tarantula lives. When it's out and about it's a bonus. I used to keep a red trapdoor and I always liked just the fleeting times when I saw it.

So I don't mind making a larger size tank for it either and will probably get one made for the job. Getting a tank made here in Thailand is pretty cheap. I did have an 8" X 8" X 18" high tank but I want the spider to have more room when it comes out, if it comes out!

I always want to have the things such as a water bowl a little distance away from the burrow so myself and the spider don't disturb each other when I have to refill it or whatever. I don't want to get bitten by my this girl, her fangs look mean!

So a friend from another forum directed me here to get some advice, I've read loads of threads on this Cobalt Blue spider, lots of great info but I need some answers to some specific questions. 'TheNatural's tank set up thread was inspiring too!

So here's what I am thinking of doing, let me know your thoughts.

I want to get a tank about 18" X 18" X 18". Is it too big, any problems having a tank too large for a spider?

I will fill the tank about 12 inches full of potting soil and coconut husk mix.

I want to decorate with a little wood and leafs from clean enviroments.

I want to add some live plants. Only possible with a light source? Does the tank need more drainage then?

I can collect plants and leaves naturally from the forests here so no problems there.

If I use a light source on this tank, what is advisable to use?

I want to make one side of the tank perspex so I can drill ventilation holes in it. Better to have the vent holes at the top or at the bottom, in the middle or where? I read on TheNatural set up tanks he uses gravel at the bottom to keep humidity down below in the soil. So I guess lower vents is a bad idea?

I want to make about a third of the lid a ventilation grid as well is this enough?

Instead of misting (or as well as) I will have a pump running from one of my fish tanks to the tarantula tank. Only a low power pump, it will be switched on for a minute or so a day or every couple of days whatever to water the tank and make an artificial rainfall. Good idea or not? The water will be in better condition that comes direct from the tap anyway, no chlorine etc.

I like the idea it is natural and that it means I only have to flip a switch for 30 seconds to humdify the tank. Makes it easier for my gf too if I am away for a night or two!

I can also set it up so it refills the water bowl though I know I will have to empty it with some forceps.

Feeding tubes. Any simple methods to put them in, just a clear tube with a screw top ok? Makes me feel better not opening that tank and I guess disturbs my spider less.

Ok, loads of questions and a lot of 'I wants' but I'm hoping to make a really nice display tank here. Any potential problems you can see in my ideas let me know. If the tank goes well I'll get some pics taken for you! Cheers.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep my adult female in a Kritter keeper.

You can see kind of how big her enclosure is here. The angle of the picture makes the enclosure. The enclosure is probably LWH 12X8X8 or so. Like you said, they spend most of their time in their burrow so you might be thinking a bit large.

bkkspider

Arachnopeon
Really the tarantula is not the whole focus of the tank (especially if I can get some live plants in there) ,so as long as it is practical for the spider I don't mind having a bigger size. Gives the spider a bit more room should it want to have a walk around anyway.

rooster

Arachnopeon
I like my cages to look nice, I add plants, they are fake because I have a tendency to kill plants and I dont use a light for heat with my spiders so I dont think live plants would do so well in my tanks, especially without light. I do like rock looking water bowls and natural log hides, I have alot of borrowing spiders, and I like to mix double shredded cypress bark about 30/70 with that coconut bedding, it holds moisture good, but doesn't look like old coffee grounds, like just the plain coconut looks I hate that look.

Your saying you want the cage 18" high with 12" of soil, I kinda tried that same height when I first got mine, but they are skittish and fast and can run right up the walls, and only 6" of wall barely gave me enough time to react when mine flipped out and almost escaped. Since then I lowered the bedding to about 6" so now I have 12" of reaction time, lol.

And as far as holes go, Id probably put some in the sides and some on the top, to kinda get a cross breeze and to let the hot stale humid air rise up and out and pull in some new fresh air, but that just my opionion...

Changing the water bowl is easy, I have it on the other side of the cage then her home, and I change it during the day, Im not sure if they are all like mine, but she doesnt attack until you really harass her. I just reach in and take out the water dish and change it. As long as shes not out running around shes easy to deal with.

Im not sure about all the pumps and filters, some one else will have to tell you about all that.

Good Luck