Need Pokey Help: Decision time!

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my LPSs has a Poecilotheria subfusca. Not only that, it is the "lowland" variety. Now, I guess I've never looked into this species before as I didn't know there were "locality" types within the species.

Most of my research has pulled up the "highland" form. So, here's the stats: 1" and $140. I know that is too much, but the manager is usually pretty good at cutting me fair deals.

Basically, I want to know if this is worth investing in and what it is really worth. And, why don't I see many if them?

Thanks, all!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of my LPSs has a Poecilotheria subfusca. Not only that, it is the "lowland" variety. Now, I guess I've never looked into this species before as I didn't know there were "locality" types within the species.

Most of my research has pulled up the "highland" form. So, here's the stats: 1" and $140. I know that is too much, but the manager is usually pretty good at cutting me fair deals.

Basically, I want to know if this is worth investing in and what it is really worth. And, why don't I see many if them?

Thanks, all!
You dont see them in the pet stores becuz most pet stores are ignorant to what the hobby is doing. they carry rose hairs and avics. if your pet store is one that carries higher end T's then you are probably shopping somewhere that knows there stuff. $140 isnt BAD for retail prices, especially since you can see it right there in front of you, dont have to pay shipping and know exactly what you are getting. plus at 1" you can possibly sex it (if u know what you are looking for) so id say if he can cut the price to $125 or lower jump on it. if its female then u got a pretty sweet deal, if its a male then 50/50 it when its mature and get a few babies that you can sell back to him at a later time and make some quick cash from. Thats just my 200ths of a dollar.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol...yeah. This store is also carrying things like P. metallica and Monocentropus balfouri. Another T they have I want is a 2.5" P. miranda, but it's sitting at $100. I have a feeling he'll come down to $75 on it, though.

Anyway, regarding the lowland item. I'm still not clear how they compare to the highland in size, looks, or value.

Thanks for the input thus far. I'm looking to go in for some "negotiation" tomorrow. :)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol...yeah. This store is also carrying things like P. metallica and Monocentropus balfouri. Another T they have I want is a 2.5" P. miranda, but it's sitting at $100. I have a feeling he'll come down to $75 on it, though.

Anyway, regarding the lowland item. I'm still not clear how they compare to the highland in size, looks, or value.
....How much are they asking for the P. metallica? And how big is it? :drool:

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

dont quote me on this but ive heard from a reasonably reliable source that highland and lowland "forms" can be produced from the same sack. i dont really know the validity of it but its what ive been told so...:confused::?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The gooty is a whopping $400. It is about an inch. I think the store actually paid $200 for it as a fresh sling. They got burned on it I think. Unless they keep it and it turns up a female.

Geographically speaking, in the region this species is found, there is a "highland" area of high elevation. And other areas of low elevation. Lowland. Apparently, it's rather mountainous there. In this case, the two locals have developed enough differences to garner distinction in the locales in the hobby. So, if highland and lowland were in the same clutch, that would mean a hybridization took place and none of the offspring are pure locale specific. Even though they would still be subfusca.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Highland vs lowland. Does anybody know?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At this point the "highland" form is your actual P. subfusca, and lowland phase "subfuscas" are more properly P. species "lowland" or "bara" .

That's the most current info I have. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

Also that price is way too high.
You can get 2 slings for that amount.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, it came home with me today at a price of $100. I hope that was good.

Jim, where else have you seen these for sale? I've scoured over the Internet to no avail...

sn95

Arachnopeon
Well, it came home with me today at a price of $100. I hope that was good.

Jim, where else have you seen these for sale? I've scoured over the Internet to no avail...
I'm not Jim but Paul Becker, Ken the bug guy, and Kelly Swift all have them on there lists. 100 is a pretty good price IMO since you didn't have to pay shipping on top of it.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The problem here is that those dealers/breeders are selling the highland form only. No lowland forms. Unless I missed something...?

Actually, I'm not sure if I've checked Paul Becker?

I'm going to call it a good deal, regardless. :) I've already named her "Ivy".

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figure you are talking bout paw claws? If so yea there prices are DUMB!! $350 for a 1/2" balfouri, really. I also ha a friend pick up a t from them that had mites.

Matt

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep. That's the one - Claw Paws. The balfouri is now 1.5" and appears to be a probable female. Maybe. It is too hard to tell for me. Still. I can't afford that. Joseph did say he'd cut me a great deal on it though and made a decent offer.

sn95

Arachnopeon
The problem here is that those dealers/breeders are selling the highland form only. No lowland forms. Unless I missed something...?

Actually, I'm not sure if I've checked Paul Becker?

I'm going to call it a good deal, regardless. :) I've already named her "Ivy".
O, my bad I failed at reading the "lowland" part{D

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude. I know of the petstore you're referring to. In my opinion it's really hard to get a good deal there. Joseph is a Nazi. Haha. I honestly don't trust their husbandry of their stock either. I wouldn't be surprised if you found mites. Everytime I've gone in there I've seen at least one spider in death curl and I've even seen him pull out a spider to show me just to have it turn up dead. In my opinion you can find better stock and deals online. That's my opinion of course.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
O, my bad I failed at reading the "lowland" part{D
No problem...but I would REALLY like to find other lowlands available. It kills me in a way to not "know" what I've gotten into. Was it a good deal? And, how exactly does this differ from the highland? Since I didn't purchase direct from the breeder, I don't know.

Dude. I know of the petstore you're referring to. In my opinion it's really hard to get a good deal there. Joseph is a Nazi. Haha. I honestly don't trust their husbandry of their stock either. I wouldn't be surprised if you found mites. Everytime I've gone in there I've seen at least one spider in death curl and I've even seen him pull out a spider to show me just to have it turn up dead. In my opinion you can find better stock and deals online. That's my opinion of course.
No mites so far. However, quality has improved within the last year or so, in my opinion. They go through actual breeders instead of wholesalers for most of their stock. It may depend what you look at? They are a store, a business...I guess it comes with the territory.

Last edited:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ben,

I just put 2 and 2 together...are YOU the new up-and-coming go-to guy for all the invertebrate stuff around here? I was talking with Rick (owner of PetLand) about helping me find a few Ts and/or a couple scorps. He listed somebody named "Ben" as his main man. Lol. If that is you (who else could it be?) what other stores do you sell to?

ATTN: if anyone has any further insights on the lowland species, PLEASE share! I'm desperate!