Need OBT Help

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want an OBT more than anything else in the world! I love all my T's, especially my rosea (she's my baby), but I would trade them all in a minute for P. murinus! OBTs were the ones that got me into the hobby and is my personal Holy Grail. The only thing holding me back is my girlfriend. She is too afraid of their aggressiveness and venom potency. She is convinced a bite from one of those guys would be the worst thing in the world, which I don't understand her concern cuz i'm the only one who puts their hand in the tarantula tanks. Can someone please help me convince her to let me have one!

Also, I have a 2 inch B. smithi (unsexed, but appears to be female. hopefully will know for sure with next molt) that I might be willing to trade for an OBT if anyone has one that is at least that size or bigger, and if it doesn't stay in its web 100% of the time. I would like to see it once and a while (I know they hide A LOT, but I would prefer one of the lucky ones that comes out once and a while).

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dude, don't lose your money like that. A B. smithi at 2 inches is worth like 3 times what a P. murinus is worth at the same size. Pretty much every T dealer out there has OBTs for less than $35, but that smithi is worth at least $50.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would totally trade you mine but having an OBT that is handleable(not that i ever do it) is quite rare so I'll keep her.

My local reptile dealer has a good size one for 30 bux.

Well, if your gf is worried about defensiveness and venom potency, then i would just show her you can easily make a tank escape proof. They are not anywhere near life threatening but you couldn't pay me enough to get bit by one....or my cobalt...or my greater horned baboon... or my h. longipes...hmmm....well maybe a million dollars.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBT are cheap man you can buy them for like $8 at southern spider works. and trust me don't let spiders come between you and your girl.

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OBT was my first T. I've had no problems at all. They are neat, you just have to respect them.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had no idea a 2in smithi cost that much!? How much would a larger one go for? I bet I could get a whole colony of OBTs for him as an adult, lol

Last edited: