Need new digital camera. What's your best recommendation?

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm in need of a new and better digital camera. I've been using a Cannon Power Shot A80. Not great for 3' or less close-ups on small inverts.

For those very experienced with digital photography and knowing the equipment out there, what would be a few of your recommendations?

I need one that has a USB cable and the software is MAC compatible. After that, my no. 2 criteria is it needs to be able to shot close-ups on small invertebrates very good. No. 3 criteria is price range. Something under $450 would be ideal. Also, is there a camera out there that fits this criteria, but also shoot movies as well. Any of the digital cameras/video cameras at www.bill-me-later.com meet these criteria requests?

I greatly appreciate any of your recommendations. Thanks.

Todd

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For the price, the Pansonic Lumix line is rated pretty well. They have Leica lense and are 10X optical whish is really good considering most point and shoots are 3X optical.

I am looking to get a new point and shoot and am looking at the Pentax optio A30, which is rated pretty well too.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ill stand by the power shot for the money..mines a sd550..

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I give a second vote on the Lumix line. The optics are top notch. They make SLR "like" cameras for a fraction of the price of an slr with lens interchangeability. Of course, after ayer, i am still learning what I can do with mine!

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You might want to look into the Canon G7--1 cm macro, 10 mpx resolution.

What you should do is start perusing dpreview.com, and cross-comparing reviews from dcreview.com and megapixel.net. These sites shold pretty much get you up to speed on what is available, and how camera models compare on the features you are wanting.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Got it!

Thanks for all of your advice. I did not go with the Lumix line from Panasonic as their software is not MAC compatible. So, I went with Cannon and got the Cannon A630. It can shoot macro shots down to .39"

Todd