Need more info

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Hello,
I am interested in getting a pet tarantula but I need more information on the types of tarantulas and what to feed them. I have sort of a fear of crickets...I had to get rid of my bearded dragon about two years ago because the crickets were too much for me to handle. Is there any other food source they can live off of? I know its weird, I love spiders but am afraid of crickets. haha. Any ways, I'm also interested in the types of tarantulas you would recommend for a beginner such as myself. I don't really want a Chilean rose because well, to me they aren't that pretty. I want something pretty. I was looking at photo's of tarantula's on here and saw some that were blue and I was amazed! But I know those kind are probably for more experienced handlers. Please give me any information you can. Would love it.

Have a good night/day.

-Amy

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Hi Amy

You dont have to feed them crickets, you get meel worms and superworms, i have even heard of some people feeding them roaches, but i cant lol.
i try to change their food every now and then, i can just imagine myself eating just bread for my entire life:eek: , that could not be very pleasant.:D

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
well everyone here will probably get mad at me because iam new for putting my 2 cents in but o well :p. well i would imagine a great starter a b. emilia or b. smithi yes just about any of the " blue" tarantulas are old world h. lividum p. metallica ect. also be careful with rosehairs yea they are cheap and all that but some of them are what you would swear to be the devil its self i have one like that a huge female. ( but thats my baby) well ive seen alot of people like robc feed dubia roaches if those are any better than crickets to ya. -anthony

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
o yes and a good started would bethe grammastola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) there great.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
o yes and a good started would bethe grammastola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) there great.
yea i was thinking that but because they get so big and i think this is h/im er
first T that the whole falling issue i mean i know all Ts that fall so far risk rupturing there abdomen but the larger ones are espiccally more at risk-anthon:D

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
yea i guess that is also a risk groovyspider , wel ,except for the urticating hairs that people say are hectic, a b.smithy will also be a good option.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
yea i guess that is also a risk groovyspider , wel ,except for the urticating hairs that people say are hectic, a b.smithy will also be a good option.
yea hagar i mean i wasent trying to dis you or anything we just wanna make sure he get a "forgiving" species in fact here bout a month im thinking bout either from kenthebugguy buying 4 inch female g.pulchripes or buying a bout 4-5 baby g. pulchra because i love em but over an 1inch they get really exspensive.... back on topic almost all the bracys are great starters

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Lol no dont worry about it bud, the whole idee of this site it to help people with problems just like this one, in the best way we possiby can./

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
Grammostola pulchra is also a good beginner spider, they rarely throw urticating hairs, and they're relatively docile.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
well everyone here will probably get mad at me because iam new for putting my 2 cents in but o well :p. well i would imagine a great starter a b. emilia or b. smithi yes just about any of the " blue" tarantulas are old world h. lividum p. metallica ect. also be careful with rosehairs yea they are cheap and all that but some of them are what you would swear to be the devil its self i have one like that a huge female. ( but thats my baby) well ive seen alot of people like robc feed dubia roaches if those are any better than crickets to ya. -anthony
Both the b. emilia and b. smithi are really pretty. Would like more suggestions from more people though. =) Thanks!

Also, where would be a good place to get a tarantula?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both the b. emilia and b. smithi are really pretty. Would like more suggestions from more people though. =) Thanks!

Also, where would be a good place to get a tarantula?
Since you live in Cali, you have a lot of great places to choose from, you can also mail order from dealers, or buy from people on here. If I may, two species I think are really great are Grammastola pulchra, and Eupalaestrus campestratus

Dealer reviews: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Classifieds section: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=24

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think the possibility of a G. pulchripes falling is a good enough reason to not consider them. Just give them the appropriate amount of substrate for their home & it's not much of an issue. They really are an awesome species & I highly recommend them.

If you like the brightly colored one's, i'd also suggest an Avicularia species, also referred to as "pinktoes". There are many of them, but the most commonly found ones are Avicularia avicularia & Avicularia versicolor.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think the possibility of a G. pulchripes falling is a good enough reason to not consider them. Just give them the appropriate amount of substrate for their home & it's not much of an issue. They really are an awesome species & I highly recommend them.
+1 Falling isn't an issue when you have the right amount of substrate to prevent it. G. pulchripes all the way. I highly recommend it also. I currently have two of them.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I started with Brachypelma smithi. They're beautiful and relatively docile spiders. G. pulchra is also a great choice, as well as G. pulchripes. You'll become so addicted to tarantulas... we all have...:D

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not great for handling, but take a look at Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not great for handling, but take a look at Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
I agree, but I think this particular species is more skittish than most of my T's. Maybe besides my P. irminia's. I can do cage maintenance for my pokies easier than my GBB. Maybe mine is just ultra skittish. If you do not plan on handling though, this is a very good choice so I agree.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron

If you like the brightly colored one's, i'd also suggest an Avicularia species, also referred to as "pinktoes". There are many of them, but the most commonly found ones are Avicularia avicularia & Avicularia versicolor.
Yeah I'd prefer pretty tarantulas, not like plain brown or black. I like color...imma chick haha I really love the blue ones but I don't think im ready for one like that yet. I would like a docile one that is easily handled. If you could give me information on the species you are suggesting and maybe a picture I would love it! lol I am VERY new to tarantulas. The only spiders I've dealt with are spiders I find at home. Right now I have a little spider im caring for. It's pretty aggressive. lol I'm not too sure what kind of spider it is. Some people told me it may be some sort of Sac Spider but idk. Anyways, back on subject more info on the species and if you can pictures would be much appreciated.

Oh and also, where would you get a safe enclosure for it? I was looking online at petsmart and they didn't seem to have anything good. Everything looked too big or like they could get out of it.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as previously mentioned, avicularia are a good place to start if you want an arboreal beginner T with bright colours that will not grow slower than molasses. you can browse the gallery for idea of what some look like with the added bonus of knowing that the pictures are labled correctly if you find one you like:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=20103

imo, brachypelmas are striking too if you dig the black/red combo, but their uricating hair kicking tendencies (and the defensiveness level of some like vagans and bohemei) might make them more hands-off depending on how you react to the hairs.

also, you might want to skim this thread for ideas on DIY enclosures:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=179540&highlight=container+thread

some T keepers here are pretty savvy and have made awesome enclosures for dirt cheap :D

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Chromatapelma cyaneopubescens

Good beginner, hardy, beautiful even as slings. Very skittish so not good for handling.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Okay am looking at the pictures now. :D
Another thing, if I do end up getting one should I get a baby or adult?