Need more info

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
The Tarantula Keeper's Guide is a good start. Order that first. Also, I highly recommend Avicularia Versicolors. They have beautiful color from slings to adults- truly a unique coat. They can't flick hairs (they rub their opisthosoma on you to lodge hairs, don't worry about it), they only need misting every couple of days, their webs are complex as well as beautiful, most are pretty docile, and they are slightly less prone to death when dropping due to the fact that they are arboreal species. Also, they're out in the open a lot and are very active. If I could, as previously mentioned by someone else, go back in time to my first T, I would definitely invest in a 3.5" Versicolor. They are an OK price, very common nowadays, I could go on forever. Just, get an Avicularia Versicolor.

Grammastola Pulchra's OK too, if you want a pet rock for most of the time.
I really do love the Versicolors, but they seem awful fast. However, I don't think I'd have the T out that much because I live with parents and my siblings who all really don't care for spiders especially my brother. I just don't want an accident to happen where it zooms off some how and falls. I would really be devastated. I still have lots to learn, probably won't get a T for at least a month or two.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I really do love the Versicolors, but they seem awful fast. However, I don't think I'd have the T out that much because I live with parents and my siblings who all really don't care for spiders especially my brother. I just don't want an accident to happen where it zooms off some how and falls. I would really be devastated. I still have lots to learn, probably won't get a T for at least a month or two.
yes thats a good conclusion but avics are an arboreal sp. they live in trees so they have really good grips i guess you would say on there toes. also yes i know al Ts can fall and rupture them selves but ive heard that more peoples arboreal Ts walk way from a fall much better than a heavy bodied ters. but then again to unless you got that wierd ters, it will probably just stay on the ground hope i helped

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. smithi once climed on top of the tamk and she fell on the rock( was one rock from the river so it vas completely flat and smooth. Fortunally she didn't damage herself and from that on I don't use rocks in my enclosure on the ground.

The other thing was when my A. versicolor jumped once from the left side of the enclosure onto the tweezers wich I had in my hand becouse I was holding a cricket. She jumped for about 10 cm from glass side to the tweezer. I was like :eek: and then she went back onto the side. She hates feeding with tweezers and always runaway but if i drop food on her net she is very happy and atacks.

Apart from these behaveour I NEVER experienced any aggresive behavour from eider of them. Uncontrary, they are both very calm.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
probably won't get a T for at least a month or two.
Good...You're a smart one. I dislike the ones who buy the Tarantula in the spur of the moment without doing any researching beforehand. Figure out which one you like, what their requirements are and learn what a molt is. I'd hate it if another newbie threw away their T because they thought it was dead when it really wasn't.

NevularScorpion, For photo shots? What if one of them was hungry? :eek:;P

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Great idea! Yeah, spend some time. Do some research. Anyways, Avics aren't that fast. You have nothing to worry about.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I always, ALWAYS do research before I adopt/buy anything that needs taking care of. I want the absolute best for my animals. I already know what a molt is and saw video of a T that was just fresh from the molt, still on its back. I still need to do a lot more learning about that as well though. But I know basically what it is. Don't know the in depth of it though.

I want to feed roaches but I know my parents wont allow that (especially since we have roaches roaming around our house they would be like "what if they got out we'd have a bigger roach problem!" lol) *sigh* I hate crickets, they creep me out to no end and I hate their smell. I guess I wouldn't have to keep as many crix for a T as I did with my Beardie so the smell wouldn't be a problem. I probably will end up feeding meal worms, super worms, and crix. Variety is best right? I just have to get the right equipment to I dont have to be anywhere near the creepy crix. lol

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good...You're a smart one. I dislike the ones who buy the Tarantula in the spur of the moment without doing any researching beforehand. Figure out which one you like, what their requirements are and learn what a molt is. I'd hate it if another newbie threw away their T because they thought it was dead when it really wasn't.

NevularScorpion, For photo shots? What if one of them was hungry? :eek:;P
then too bad, I will lose one of them :)

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, I was just simply answering B8709's question "What if one of them was hungry?" my answer is "then too bad, I will lose one of them" but do you guys really think that I would let that happen:embarrassed:. If you guys look at the pic they are really super fat and well fed. the chances of that happening is slim to none. In any case that one of them tries to attack the other, I will stop them since I'm only 8" away from them :) My curlys are really slow like snail slow lol everything they do is in slow motion so I can anticipate their behavior (no tarantula that fat can move like an OBT fast). Like I said they are my most favorite Ts and I will never let something bad happen to them. I took that pic 3 years ago and no casualties happened :) they are now 6+"-5 1/2". You guys can say what you want to say and I will do what I want to do. this is my last comment about this topic I don't want to argue about how each individual should hold their Ts or photograph them. each person has their own perspective about handling their Ts safely and there are more than one ways to do it. I refuse to be a conformist, "I got 99 problems but T husbandry ain't one :)"

Peace out everyone may we all keep Ts in harmony :)

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
And I don't think there should be a debate/argument on my thread since it's really not about how YOU keep your T's. It's better to be safe than sorry. I'd keep my T's all separate if I did end up having more than one, (unless I really got into the hobby and started breeding).

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
lol, I know I'm looking at all the T's and am stuck on which one I would like to have! ahhh! I know I'll end up with more than one. haha

So I decided I don't think I want a versicolor as my first. What do you think about about a. avicularia or A. purpurea?

Last edited:

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bring it back. I need help again, what do you all think of me (a beginner) getting an A. purpurea??

I may get a T in the summer. I have to re-educate myself on T's though I forgot a lot of stuff.

Thanks!

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Purpea would be great. Anything avicularia would be perfect, so it all comes down to whichever one you like the looks of the most. Purpea would be good for a girl cuz its purple with pink feet, lol. Hell, I even like that combo and I'm a grown man.
I think you already have your mind set on the purpea so I'll just reinforce that and say go for it. But if you want something that you dont have to order as a sling online, you can find adult A. Avics in alot of pet shops. They are pretty T's in my opinion.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the response =) I like A. Avics too but I like the purpurea better lol I'll probably end up having more than one T down the road anyways.