Need information for Zoo.

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, my name is DeAnna. I volunteer at Roos N More Zoo in Moapa, NV. About a month ago I was given an assignment to gather information on a few animals. I have gathered everything for nearly all of them, except one...The Greater Bush Baby. I have searched the internet for info, but can't find anything useful. Please help! If you guys would mind, I'd love help gathering the following stuff. (I can't get to a library by the way.)

Greater Bush Baby

Family-

Genus-

Species-

Vital statistics

Weight-

Length-

Lifespan-

Sexual Maturity-

Gestation period-

Number of Young-

Native habitat-

Diet-

Interesting Facts

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like someone wanted their biology report done for them? Sorry-if you're on here, you should be able to get that information yourself(in fact-if you have the ability of a middle schooler you could fill out 1/2 that sheet within 10 minutes of simple searching). I don't believe anyone here has an greater bushbaby experience that would allow them to dispense anecdotal info-which would not work well for a report like this anyway.

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really do volunteer for the zoo, whether a group of strangers chooses to believe me or not. Call this an act of desperation. I and a few other volunteers were asked to gather info. They are under staffed and that is, at least this is my guess, why they asked us for help. I know it's easy to find info via Google, the problem I've been having is conflicting information. I was hoping I could find someone who knows a bit more about them here to help me out. Maybe someone who has read a great article about them. If, however, you guys decide to treat me rudely, as it seems you have, I will just look elsewhere. Like I mentioned earlier, I have been dragging this out for a while and I'd like to get it done. I hate telling them I don't have anything. By the way, if any of you are in the Las Vegas area you should really check Roos N More out.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Kinda funny to me that someone in this day & age doesn't know about wikipedia. I got over half the info requested on google before I even chose to go onto a site.
Do your own homework or you won't learn anything.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think if I were a zoo, even a small one, & needed more info on a species, i'd contact other zoos with this species. I'm sure their biologist will have way better info that's more accurate than anything found on google.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm confused by such a vague name Greater Bush Baby which appear to be called galagos and didnt even narrow it down to a certain species just any of them appearently. If you wanted to know information about something you should know what species your talking about. Thats like asking for information about pink toes... well which one?

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kinda funny to me that someone in this day & age doesn't know about wikipedia. I got over half the info requested on google before I even chose to go onto a site.
Do your own homework or you won't learn anything.
I think you should read the full post, rather than the first sentence and throw out a rude comment based on that alone. I said all I could find was conflicting information. And, Wikipedia? I want facts, not something some dumb ass has edited at 3 am. Please, if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything. =)

All they seem to know is "Greater Bush Baby." No other name. That's another issue I've been running into. >.> Normally I would look it up and "Do my own homework" but they haven't given me what I need to do the research. Lol

Anyway, if anyone has a good source of information on ANY bush baby, please point me in the right direction. It would be very helpful.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you tried contacting breeders for information? They'll be able to give you better info than Wikipedia since that is never a reliable source. I can give you the name of one that I've volunteered for in the past.

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
Hello, my name is DeAnna. I volunteer at Roos N More Zoo in Moapa, NV. About a month ago I was given an assignment to gather information on a few animals. I have gathered everything for nearly all of them, except one...The Greater Bush Baby. I have searched the internet for info, but can't find anything useful. Please help! If you guys would mind, I'd love help gathering the following stuff. (I can't get to a library by the way.)

Greater Bush Baby

Class - Mammalia

Order - Primates

Family- Lorisidae (Alternatively Galagonidae)

Genus- Euoticus

Subspecies- Three. O.c.crassicaudatus, O.c.montieri, O.c.badius. All of these are "greater" only.

Vital statistics

Weight- Female: 1.2kg, Male: 1.4kg.

Length- Head and body length: 25-40cm, Tail Length: 34-49cm.

Lifespan- 15 years.

Sexual Maturity- I have read between 10-12 months but it seems to be still in debate.

Gestation period- Gestation period of 126-136 days.

Number of Young- 1-3 offspring.

Native habitat- Thick-tailed greater bush babies live in woodland, forested savannah, plantations and bamboo thickets. They range across Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and south to South Africa.

Diet- They mostly feed on tree exudates and fruit, but they also take a small amount of animal prey, including invertebrates and small birds, reptiles and mammals.

Interesting Facts

Thick-tailed greater bush-babies are the largest of the bush babies. Like other bush babies, they makes a call that sounds like a human child crying.

Thick-tailed greater bush babies have brown or grey fur, with exceptionally large ears, a pointed muzzle and large eyes. They are strongly built, with broad hands and feet adapted for grasping, with opposable first digits. As their name suggests, they have thick, bushy tails.

They are nocturnal and arboreal, preferring the upper levels of the forest. Rather than leaping through the canopy, they tend to run along the branches.

Young bush babies can walk on all fours immediately after birth, stand on thier hind legs after 24 hours and take short leaps within a week. They start taking solid food after 2-3 weeks and are fully weaned after 7-10 weeks.

Here is where I got the info if you need to reference it..

http://www.junglewalk.com/popup.asp?type=s&AnimalWebsiteID=2562

Maurice Burton, Robert Burton - 2002 -
INTERNATIONAL WILDLIFE ENCYCLOPEDIA THIRD EDITION Volume 22
pgs 329 - 330.

I hope you get an A+. I put 7-8 minuets into the search. :wall:

Last edited:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To be fair, rude comments should not be passed off until the age of the OP has been identified. The younger they could be the less likely she might know of how to reach out to another zoological facility, search the web, etc. Someone hwo is a volunteer could be 8, or 80.

That being said I withhold my own rudeness as this one is an easy target.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's 17 according to her profile or possibly younger since she shares the user name. Have you ever tried to contact a zoological facility? They love to ignore people. The general public, including volunteers, never seem to be worth their time. She's already said she's gotten conflicting information on the web, doesn't want to go with Wikipedia because she knows that is an unreliable source, and so she's asked hobbyists to see if they know. That is a perfectly viable option for information gathering and I've certainly run into the same problems with certain species of tarantula. I don't see any reason to be rude to this person whatsoever and I don't understand why so many people are jumping to conclusions.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's 17 according to her profile or possibly younger since she shares the user name. Have you ever tried to contact a zoological facility? They love to ignore people. The general public, including volunteers, never seem to be worth their time. She's already said she's gotten conflicting information on the web, doesn't want to go with Wikipedia because she knows that is an unreliable source, and so she's asked hobbyists to see if they know. That is a perfectly viable option for information gathering and I've certainly run into the same problems with certain species of tarantula. I don't see any reason to be rude to this person whatsoever and I don't understand why so many people are jumping to conclusions.
+1 for Leila and +1 for Matt for not making assumptions and jumping to conclusions :D

Last edited: