Need info on this scorpion specie

YellowCranberry

Arachnopeon
Right, so I just acquired my first scorpion (yay!), but they messed up my order...

Of course, I ordered an emperor scorpion from a local shop, and after some delay they told me that no emperor scorpions were left, but sent me instead an ''Indian black scorpion''. When I asked info on that specie, the seller told me, and I quote, that is was ''the same specie, only from Asia''.

Now I searched online a bit but could find anything really about the ''Indian black scorpion''. It look very alike the emperor scorpion, except it has smaller claws (see picture). I would appreciate all/any info you guys could give me on my little buddy! Thanks

P.S. its a baby

Also, sorry for the not so good picture quality, but they are the best I have... 15086359_1259525194070762_1875786720_n.jpg 15057827_1259525180737430_1391426676_n.jpg IMG_20161121_202956.jpg

Stugy

Arachnolord
Looks like some kind of Heterometrus species to me. I could be wrong since there are so many black scorpions xD. Congrats on the new scorpion btw!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If they say "the same species, only from Asia", then they are probably confused. Most likely, you have a Heterometerus sp., a very similar genus of scorpions to emporers. In all essence, they ARE emps from Asia. They just aren't emps ;) Not quite sure which either. If you look at pics of all of them, it's super hard to tell unless you have perfect photos and specific shots. Not quite sure what they are, but just care for it like an emp. Should be nearly identical in care, only may be a little feistier. Hope it does well for you, beautiful scorp! :D

Stugy

Arachnolord
Careful though! Heterometrus are feisty buggers. BTW.. Where are Pandinus imperator originally from? Africa? For some reason I keep thinking Asia but I feel that I am wrong.

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Careful though! Heterometrus are feisty buggers. BTW.. Where are Pandinus imperator originally from? Africa? For some reason I keep thinking Asia but I feel that I am wrong.
Emp's are from west Africa, red claw emp's (Pandinus Cavimanus) are mainly from Tanzania (east Africa). That looks like an Asian Forrest Scorpion to me. Heterometrus Spinifer, maybe. It's chela look sizable so possibly Heterometrus Longimanus? They range from India to Indonesia. Many coming from Malaysia. Their care is not the same as emp's. I recently went from a Pandinus Cavimanus to a Heterometrus Spinifer in my largest terrarium and the A.F.S. likes it much warmer than my red claw emperor did. Do a little research and you'll be fine. Allscorpionarchives has a tremendous Asian Forrest Scorpion caresheet, just Google it. Was a big help to me. Good luck and congrats on your first scorpion. :)

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not an expert, but it looks like a H. spinifer to me.

Do you have an hide and a water dish in there for it?

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a juvenile Heterometrus species. Probably either H. petersii or H. laoticus.

And I agree with the above post that the substrate looks too dry.

Stugy

Arachnolord
It's a juvenile Heterometrus species. Probably either H. petersii or H. laoticus.

And I agree with the above post that the substrate looks too dry.
I disagree on H.petersii since it wasn't similar enough to mine. Maybe I'm getting blind on short distances too now D: Mayyyybeeee i just didn't look hard enough at the pictures.

YellowCranberry

Arachnopeon
Yeah thanks for the comments, my substrate was actually a bit dry, but it's all good now thanks to all the great care post on this forum haha!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I disagree on H.petersii since it wasn't similar enough to mine. Maybe I'm getting blind on short distances too now D: Mayyyybeeee i just didn't look hard enough at the pictures.
What specifically are you disagreeing with me on?

The specimen is clearly a juvenile and thus the proportions of the pedipalps and metasoma are going to be different than an adult.