Need ID for this Wolf, please...

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi all! I am back again with another Wolf spider ID, but this time I just can't remember the name of it. Hopefully someone can remind me of what it is? :8o

A little info: Found in NE Florida, about 45 mi. south of Jacksonville. Description of the land where it was found is Pine forest (the very outer edges of the Ocala National Forest).

This Wolf is an young male, but for some reason, I don't think he is fully mature yet. Then again, I'm not familiar with this sp., so I don't know. In my Internet search for ID, I found only a few pics... NONE with any ID other as "Wolf" or "Lycosa". --> great emoticon--> :wall:

When he captures a prey item, he annihilates the prey's head and then makes a web mat to secure it. Only then will he eat at leisure, leaving nothing but legs and 'dust'. I found this fascinating because my Hognas don't do this.

Here are some pics of him. I included ventral and palps, too. Sorry about the poor quality. :8o He will fit very nicely on a nickel, legs included. Small, but much bigger than a Pardosa milvina.

Hope the pics are good enough to help with ID. Thanks in advance for all help and comments! :) S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Now the pics...

I feel like an idiot... thought I added the pics with first post. Anyways, here they are! S.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, this is an immature male all right. I would start looking in the genus Schizocosa rather than Pardosa. See if you can raise the spider to maturity. Some adult males are distinctive enough to ID the species from pictures (and you can always ID it from the mature palps, too).

That's interesting about it covering its prey with silk before eating!

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Thank you

jsloan! I will start looking immediately. And yes, I thought the web-matting was unusual, too. I have very nice videos of this spider in action, but I have no idea where to upload them. Youtube seems full of Spammers and I closed my account there long ago.

Some of the vids are not for the sqeamish & faint-of-heart, LOL!

If anyone has suggestions as to where I could upload some of my spider vids, drop me a line, please? I know this is off-topic, but my vids are much better than my pics.

Thanks again, jsloan-your input is very much appreciated. I will update soon with info on what I find! :D S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Update

Hi all! Well, I did an extensive search starting with Schizocosa, as per jsloan's advice. The nearest match I found was Schizocosa avida, but this still doesn't look right to me.

I think I also will do as jsloan suggested-raise this little guy to maturity, and see what we have then. He's a great Wolf: excellent eater, and my goodness, does he go to town on his prey! me--> :eek:

He now resides in a very well-ventilated "Karry-out Krickets" container, with some sterilized peat as substrate. I hollowed out a branch into a half-log shape. and started a burrow. He found this, and has made himself at home in it. Included are a bottlecap with pebbles in it, and water, and a few fake plant pieces.

After eating very well, he has sealed his burrow.. hopefully he is molting into a handsome mature fella! :clap:

I will update this soon, so stay tuned! S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
For some reason

my pics seem to not 'stay' in posts... when I post pics in other threads, previously posted pics just... vanish. :? I haven't figured this out yet.

I will repost the pics, maybe a smaller size will help. Good to see you back, davisfam!

I am thinking of posting some pics of ALL my Trues. :D

Will get to work on that right away! S.