Need Heterometrus I.D. and question?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Hello, I am new here and want to know if possible what Heterometrus sp. I acquired yesterday? (I apologize for the quality it was taken on a phone.)

Also, can I have some U.T.H. and thermostat brand recommendations? Particularly for plastic totes as this feisty juvie isn't going to be my last scorpion or invertebrate! Thanks in advance. 20190823_094703.jpg 20190823_094649.jpg

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I want to hear from scorpion collectors and breeders for their expert advice on brands of U.T.H. and thermostats, the more critical Amazon reviews were quite discouraging. I know to mount the heat pad upon the side not underneath of course.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I personally like to use Flex Watt tape with a thermostat like Century digital heat mat thermostat controller, seems to be a very cost efficient way of heating multiple bins as you can have one tape for a whole shelf. I seem to be in the minority though as people seem to prefer other heating methods like bulbs. Seems to be working for me though *shrug*.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I personally like to use Flex Watt tape with a thermostat like Century digital heat mat thermostat controller, seems to be a very cost efficient way of heating multiple bins as you can have one tape for a whole shelf. I seem to be in the minority though as people seem to prefer other heating methods like bulbs. Seems to be working for me though *shrug*.
Awesome thanks I will look into this, cost effective is a big plus but not at the expense of functionality. So far I only have the single scorpion in my collection. I am definitely interesting in investing more species of Heterometrus and other physically similar species of scorpions both large and small, both desert and jungle.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Almost certainly Heterometrus petersii, but would need a clearer shot to be sure.

Flex Watt works great, as stated above. Make sure any heat matt/tape is in the side of the enclosure, not the bottom. Heat bulbs are another good option, and the red light allows you to unobtrusively watch them.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Almost certainly Heterometrus petersii, but would need a clearer shot to be sure.

Flex Watt works great, as stated above. Make sure any heat matt/tape is in the side of the enclosure, not the bottom. Heat bulbs are another good option, and the red light allows you to unobtrusively watch them.

Awesome thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking it might possibly be H.laoticus (prosoma looks very smooth from memory) but I haven't seen it in two nights as it was recently fed. I will try to get a better pic up.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I am still waiting for opportunity for a better pic as it doesn't emerge until well after 10:00 pm. I added a small UTH reptitherm on one side, this is the hide it prefers and it has even constructed a rear entrance on the hide. I am 99.9% sure it is a juvenile H.laoticus as I have examined it about a foot from my face and there is no visible granulation on the prosoma, its smooth as sanded and shellacked ebony hardwood. Its body is brownish under light too.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Okay, my Heterometrus is a male (large pectines and an oval shaped genital operculum). It has a dark telson. Yet it does not have a pronounced tooth on the moveable finger. There is sparse granulation but I can not distinguish a pattern. What is it? I will try to get better pics.

Attachments

Last edited: