Need help!

deathqueenx

Arachnopeon
Hello guys so I’ve just got my first tarantula a zebra leg. I posted the set up in a tarantula group on Facebook and I got judged harshly by the size of it. I thought this was going to be ok for her??? I’ve been up all night trying to find a bigger plastic tank for her but in the U.K. it’s proving to be hard to find something bigger. The only bigger things I can find are the glass housing which cost a bomb. No bigger plastic ones which to the one I’ve got! She seems pretty happy and she is burrowing slowly. I know everyone’s opinions on housing tarantulas vary and are all different but this is really stressing me out. I’ve measured her house for further investigation. 22 x 37 cm . I have heard that tarantulas do not need a big house but a five gallon tank is suitable? I am not sure of this is five gallons. Could someone please put my mind to rest as I can’t sleep !

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t seem to locate the actual tarantula. Thus I cannot tell how large or small the enclosure is.

Although, set up looks not bad at all to me.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
You did the right thing to come here, facebook groups aren't the best, not saying all of them are, but... I'd call it unreliable. Enclosure looks good, maybe a little more substrate, but for the size, it depends on the size of the tarantula. Can you show us a pic of the t in the enclosure? I'd also stick to scientific names, as common names can often be confusing and misleading.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Can you post a pic of the T itself? Also, what is the spray bottle for?

deathqueenx

Arachnopeon
You did the right thing to come here, facebook groups aren't the best, not saying all of them are, but... I'd call it unreliable. Enclosure looks good, maybe a little more substrate, but for the size, it depends on the size of the tarantula. Can you show us a pic of the t in the enclosure? I'd also stick to scientific names, as common names can often be confusing and misleading.
this was before I put more substrate into her home .

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I’m too lazy and didn’t read everything. But based off pic of T, just fill a large critter keeper with 6-8 inches of damp substrate. Make a starter burrow under a piece of cork bark and your T will do the rest. Research species and how they live in the wild before buying in the future. Then come here to confirm your research. Have fun.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Enclosure size is perfect, but she needs more substrate. You have a fossorial species on your hands. ;)

Definitely watch Tom Moran's care video @RoachCoach provided. :)

Hi
As others have said enclosure size is good.Your spider likes to dig and expand their burrow.The resin hide you have has a dead end that is not ideal.You will be better with a piece of cork bark (plastic pot without bottom cut in half ) buried at an angle as a hide so she can expand its burrow as she sees fit.
You can put a little more substrate in as mentioned above but have in mind if it starts digging it will dump dirt out of its burrow and will raise the substrate level a bit more so fill around 2/3 of the enclosure max and that will be sufficient. Also ditch the spray bottle.Your tarantula will appreciate some moisture in the substrate but don't focus on keeping the top moist its the bottom layers you want to keep moist.You can achieve that but making furrows in the corners and pour water so it goes all the way down to the bottom.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
more substrate, less furniture. With almost no open floor space and a fossorial species you pretty much guaranteeing a pet hole. Bury the hide, maybe put the shrub on top of it. Probably ditch the skull.
Think more minimalist