Need help!

Is this okay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nathaniel98736

Arachnopeon
Got my first T today and I’m loving this hobby can’t wait to get addicted but I got a enclosure that is about 2-2.5x her size for length and about 1.5x her size for the width. Is this ok??

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Species, size of the T in question, and pics would be helpful, but from the sounds of it that's too small/cramped.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You typically want to keep tarantulas in cages 3-5 times their leg span in all directions. With slings however slightly smaller enclosures also work, as too big can lead to stress and difficulty with finding prey; enclosures that are too small (especially with faster growing species) are often temporary nuisances as you will need to rehouse soon enough anyway, at least from my experience. That said, it sounds like your current enclosure is too narrow.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nathaniel98736

Arachnopeon
You typically want to keep tarantulas in cages 3-5 times their leg span in all directions. With slings however slightly smaller enclosures also work, as too big can lead to stress and difficulty with finding prey; enclosures that are too small (especially with faster growing species) are often temporary nuisances as you will need to rehouse soon enough anyway, at least from my experience. That said, it sounds like your current enclosure is too narrow.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Will a bigger plastic tub be fine until I order some better visual cases?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Will a bigger plastic tub be fine until I order some better visual cases?
Clear/opaque plastic tubs work fantastic for tarantulas, just make sure there is some ventilation and the lid snaps on secure; Ts are escape artists that are stronger than they look and able to fit through surprisingly narrow gaps, on top of having nothing better to do with their time but test the boundaries of their cube of solitude.

Nathaniel98736

Arachnopeon
Clear/opaque plastic tubs work fantastic for tarantulas, just make sure there is some ventilation and the lid snaps on secure; Ts are escape artists that are stronger than they look and able to fit through surprisingly narrow gaps, on top of having nothing better to do with their time but test the boundaries of their cube of solitude.
Alright:) thank you

basin79

ArachnoGod
You typically want to keep tarantulas in cages 3-5 times their leg span in all directions.
Not in height though unless dealing with a arboreal. A 4 inch terrestrial tarantula falling from 12-20 inches could be deadly depending on the amount of substrate. Only quoting this as with the op being new they might not realise.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Looks good! Definitely big enough. :) And you could keep her in there indefinitely.

Bigger cork bark hide and a bigger water dish would be nice though.

cold blood

Staff member
Looks fine.

G. porteri btw....still considered a rose hair though.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Looks fine.

G. porteri btw....still considered a rose hair though.
Is there an easy way to tell G porteri from G rosea? They are a species I would like to acquire if I am lucky enough to find one. They are getting hard to find in Canada since Chile stopped exporting and I will jump at an AF if I find one. Would like to know the species though...

cold blood

Staff member
Is there an easy way to tell G porteri from G rosea? They are a species I would like to acquire if I am lucky enough to find one. They are getting hard to find in Canada since Chile stopped exporting and I will jump at an AF if I find one. Would like to know the species though...
They look different...rosea are pretty red.

Aside from extreme long life, rose hairs are pretty boring. Not something i would put on anyone's perspective wish list.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
They look different...rosea are pretty red.

Aside from extreme long life, rose hairs are pretty boring. Not something i would put on anyone's perspective wish list.
Thanks for the info! I would like to get one to fill out the Grammy collection as I have completed the brachys now. My juvie hamorii has sat on its leaf for about a month. Doesn't even move more than an inch to feed or drink. The pet rock doesn't really bother me but I could see them not appealing to most keepers.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Not in height though unless dealing with a arboreal. A 4 inch terrestrial tarantula falling from 12-20 inches could be deadly depending on the amount of substrate. Only quoting this as with the op being new they might not realise.
Of course. I meant on the X and Y planes, not the Z plane, but thank you for clarifying.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the info! I would like to get one to fill out the Grammy collection as I have completed the brachys now. My juvie hamorii has sat on its leaf for about a month. Doesn't even move more than an inch to feed or drink. The pet rock doesn't really bother me but I could see them not appealing to most keepers.
Brachys are 100 times more active.... they also grow three times faster and eat five times better. A rose hair is like a brachy that's almost dead. LOL