Need help!

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
We went to the pet store just to look ended up buying a "Asian Forest Scorpion" because it looked like it needed a new home. We need some help with identifying the type of scorpion "Asian forest scorpion" is a general section of scorpions. We think it is either h. spinifer or h. petersii, and determine the sex of it because they didn't tell us if it was male or female, just told us that they normally get females. We think "she" seems to be happy but we just need to make sure what substrate needs to be used. Right now we're using Coco fiber and Eco earth bark chips. This seems to be more airy and dry than whats needed. Also she doesn't support her burrowing we don't want her tunnels to collapse when shes moving around.
sn- we are aware of the light sensitivities and are only using an infrared light for snooping. Other than that her terrarium has no lights or heating pads as its warm and doesn't need it.

cold blood

Staff member
Ditch the bark chips....coco fiber is just fine, but it does need to be tamped down tightly....this will make it both firmer and able to hold up to burrowing.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Ditch the bark chips....coco fiber is just fine, but it does need to be tamped down tightly....this will make it both firmer and able to hold up to burrowing.
this is currently what it looks like.... does this look too dry? what do you think.

IMG_20191118_173522080.jpg IMG_20191118_180735757.jpg IMG_20191118_180749857.jpg

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
You want moist but not damp nor wet (swampy) substrate. This can be remedied by pouring a cup full of water very slowly and steadily over the whole top layer, rinse and repeat if necessary.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Yes, much too dry. It should all be that darker color that you see on the right side of that first pic.

And regarding which exact species or sex, while that might be nice to know for your own knowledge, it doesn't change the care any. All Asian forest scorpions have the same care requirements. You'd have to post some clear close up pics of the top and bottom of the scorpion for people to help you ID.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
So I've already moistened the left side and put another hide over there so she can go there too. I just need to wait till she moves out of the current spot shes in.. If she doesn't move would it be okay if i kind of dug her out of her burrow? and moved her around the cage to the other side ? or just wait till IMG_20191118_212251794.jpg IMG_20191118_212259945.jpg IMG_20191118_212412652.jpg IMG_20191118_211953014.jpg IMG_20191118_212507026.jpg she moves on her own?

Attachments

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
So I've already moistened the left side and put another hide over there so she can go there too. I just need to wait till she moves out of the current spot shes in.. If she doesn't move would it be okay if i kind of dug her out of her burrow? and moved her around the cage to the other side ?

Yes that would be fine if watering the substrate is a problem. But you might be able work around the burrow and the moisture will seep slowly into the burrow substrate without actually swamping it. Pour very slowly and let it sit for half hour to an hour and work from there.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Yes that would be fine if watering the substrate is a problem. But you might be able work around the burrow and the moisture will seep slowly into the burrow substrate without actually swamping it. Pour very slowly and let it sit for half hour to an hour and work from there.
Okay that makes sense thank you.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Okay that makes sense thank you.
Yeah, pour water by proxy it will seep into the surrounding areas.

The first two pics is cocofiber, last two pics are peat moss.

The substrate is all uniformly dark and moist

I didnt see your pics in my email notif., but that is awesome progress.

Lag dp.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
By the way, will 50w IR red bulb bother her at night in this? I've read somewhere they can't see the red Or something. The one i have is blown but it would be neat to snoop around her cage at night without her being blinded. plus, im sure the mild heat emitted would be nice.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Before heading to bed tonight i saw she/he was out checking out the new side so i put her in a separate container (after she/he showed me their hiding and climbing skills lol.) Gave the substrate a warm soaking and mixing then lightly packed it all down, also added some plastic film and tape to the back screen to keep in a little moisture. I snapped a few shots of the underside and one when i introduced him/her to the new setup. Should be more helpful for identifying and sexing.

Attachments

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Before heading to bed tonight i saw she/he was out checking out the new side so i put her in a separate container (after she/he showed me their hiding and climbing skills lol.) Gave the substrate a warm soaking and mixing then lightly packed it all down, also added some plastic film and tape to the back screen to keep in a little moisture. I snapped a few shots of the underside and one when i introduced him/her to the new setup. Should be more helpful for identifying and sexing.

Sounds good, you might have a male H.petersii but a nice side shot of the claw would confirm a male H.petersii. H.petersii has sexual dimorphism in its claws.

Attachments

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Sounds good, you might have a male H.petersii but a nice side shot of the claw would confirm a male H.petersii. H.petersii has sexual dimorphism in its claws.
Hmm, I did not know that. Really interesting and i think i see it in one of the videos i had taken, although it wasn't very clear. I'll have to confirm when hes not so stressed but i believe your right saying it could be or is male. Makes sense!

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Okay guys its been a few nights since ive heard her out and about, i check periodically. And now it just causes me to worry, as ive had her maybe two weeks, maybe a little longer, and ive never seen her eating or drinking, the few crickets i hoped she would eat she hasnt and they died off, i lost a super worm in her substrate the other day (probably bad). there is three thermostats in there all reading the same. currently its 70 with moisture at 85-90 ( i had a heat lamp/basking lamp on one side of the cage but i was worried it was too powerful or just not beneficial for her so i stopped using it.) (got the lamps with the cages). Do you think i should be using a ceramic heater to eliminate light source during the day and maybe a IR for night. Really not sure what to do, and i dont want her to die on me. Maybe she just doent like her new set up. ill post a few pictures later tonight of the set up and get your guys opinions. maybe the cage size is too big causing her stress.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Two weeks without eating isn't anything to worry about. And with the humidity as high as you have it the scorpion probably doesn't need to drink either. 70 is a bit on the low side, but nothing that would kill it, it will just have a metabolism on the slower side. I'd just say toss a few crickets in there once a week, or you could try hand feeding with tongs to see if she'll take it.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Okay thanks. IR light would help for this time of year i imagine. my house is always around 72-74. Think a light ceramic bulb would be beneficial 24/7?

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Found this little guy a while back in my house. Any idea what it is? He was actually what sparked my interest into critter's. I've been using flightless fruit flies and I think he's gotten bigger. Not sure if he will have interest in pin heads or not. What do you think?

Attachments