Need help

Ryanh97

Arachnopeon
Hello guys, im hoping I can get some help. I recently bought a pink toe tarantula from Petco. In her cage there, she had a web built in the top corner and she was hiding in it. They told me she was in pre molt and would soon molt. I brought her home and set her up in her new tank and I'm a little worried. She is having trouble sticking to the glass, however at first she wasn't. Is that because she is going to molt?? And when it comes to substrate am I aloud to use organic soil without any pesticides or chemicals without harming her?

louise f

Arachnoangel
You should have waited with the rehouse till she had molted. They have warned you with the pre-molt. With that said a pic of her and the enclosure would be great.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, the inability to stick to glass is perfectly normal. Topsoil is fine, potting soil is not. Ensure that there is no cedar in the ingredients, that will kill your spider. Do you have a picture of the enclosure?

Watch this for information on a molt. It'll tell you what you need to do.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a lot of Avics and keep them all the same: good cross ventilation, dry substrate, piece of cork, piece of plastic plant, and a water bowl. If the substrate is moist and the ventilation inadequate, Avics can quickly die. They can't handle stuffy cages. There should never be condensation, and misting is usually more harmful than beneficial.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, the inability to stick to glass is perfectly normal. Topsoil is fine, potting soil is not. Ensure that there is no cedar in the ingredients, that will kill your spider. Do you have a picture of the enclosure?

Watch this for information on a molt. It'll tell you what you need to do.
Why isn't organic potting soil not and organic top soil is?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Why isn't organic potting soil not and organic top soil is?
I think because potting soil has additive for drainage. I could be wrong though. I know a lot of potting soils have vermilicite or sticks, rubber, clay, whatever for drainage

Ryanh97

Arachnopeon
You should have waited with the rehouse till she had molted. They have warned you with the pre-molt. With that said a pic of her and the enclosure would be great.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately I had no choice but to relocate her. They gave her to me in a box not the tank she was in when she was there. They said to put her in a tank i have at home setup and give her time.

Attachments

Ryanh97

Arachnopeon
I read online that a live plant helps with humidity because it retains moisture along with organic soil. To mist every few days because humidity is needed with these spiders. I called back to the store and they said she is fine and I need to calm down with worriment. But it seems that what I've read online isn't really adding up. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong , so I decided to come here.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Well if that is the setup on the pic she has now you have done it all wrong, but i am happy that you came here to ask for help. ;)

As for my self i only use plastic plants, you should give her a home with height, not a tank, what in earth are these people thinking, ( if they really are thinking:shifty: ) :banghead::banghead:

You should really listen to @Poec54 he has already given you the best keywords for keeping Avics ;)

Ryanh97

Arachnopeon
I have a lot of Avics and keep them all the same: good cross ventilation, dry substrate, piece of cork, piece of plastic plant, and a water bowl. If the substrate is moist and the ventilation inadequate, Avics can quickly die. They can't handle stuffy cages. There should never be condensation, and misting is usually more harmful than beneficial.
So your saying I shouldn't mist and just keep it dry? And if so what about the humidity, how do I keep that up?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think because potting soil has additive for drainage. I could be wrong though. I know a lot of potting soils have vermilicite or sticks, rubber, clay, whatever for drainage
Sticks can easily be removed, vermiculite retains moisture, clay adds to the stability of burrows. Unknown additives can also be avoided by reading ingredients list and contacting the company for an even more in depth break down of their product as well.
What @magicmed said, along with additives for plant food. "Organic" doesn't mean that nothing is added.
Interesting, there is a veteran breeder on here that uses an organic potting soil and topsoil mix, i forget who he is though. ABG soil is what people strive for in vivs with live plants and you can make your own mix by studying their ingredients. I wonder what all these people with live plants in their vivs use as substrate? Straight eco earth, I think not.

Organic refers to it not containing pesticides and man made fertilizers.

Yes, if you don't know what you are looking for in the soil ingredients and how to test the properties of a soil you should stay away from it and stick to the pure coco fiber or peat but if you have live plants they will not last. To say it is all bad is a bit of a blanket statement and extreme.

Last edited:

Ryanh97

Arachnopeon
Thankyou everyone for your help! I've learned a lot and I watched the video as well. I'm going to change everything and make sure she has is the way it's supposed to be. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She is having trouble sticking to the glass, however at first she wasn't. Is that because she is going to molt??
It's good you are asking questions BEFORE problems arise, because it's clear you don't know enough yet. If you hadn't asked questions your Avic would be dead in a few months due to your lack of knowledge.

As you are new to tarantulas I strongly suggest you read as much as possible about Avics and tarantulas in general. It will only benefit your pet, and only hurt your pet if you don't.

After you have read a lot, THEN ask questions.

The tank your T is in is horribly designed. I suggest you take a look at what others have used for arboreal Ts, in particular Avics.

Here's a basic "guide" for Avics I wrote

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's good you are asking questions BEFORE problems arise, because it's clear you don't know enough yet. If you hadn't asked questions your Avic would be dead in a few months due to your lack of knowledge.

As you are new to tarantulas I strongly suggest you read as much as possible about Avics and tarantulas in general. It will only benefit your pet, and only hurt your pet if you don't.

After you have read a lot, THEN ask questions.

The tank your T is in is horribly designed. I suggest you take a look at what others have used for arboreal Ts, in particular Avics.

Here's a basic "guide" for Avics I wrote

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
Whoa, I forgot all about that. I'm saving that link for future reference!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I read online that a live plant helps with humidity because it retains moisture along with organic soil. To mist every few days because humidity is needed with these spiders. I called back to the store and they said she is fine and I need to calm down with worriment.
- Almost none of use live plants. They're requirements often conflict with the spider's. I'm a big fan of plastic plants, Zoomed vining types, cut to fit. I don't use silk plants because the have dyes.

- Don't mist. The moisture builds up, you get condensation, and the soil is no longer dry. These will cause problems for you. Many people lose their first Avic or two from moist, stuffy cages.

- Don't listen to pet store employees. Very few have any experience with tarantulas, and most of the advice they give is detrimental to tarantula's health. Ask us instead. Also, ignore care sheets, they're famous for bad advice.

cold blood

Staff member
What @magicmed said, along with additives for plant food. "Organic" doesn't mean that nothing is added.
I avoid any soil advertised as organic. All soil is inherently organic, the stuff labeled as such is in reference to the additives...organic fertilizers are generally dung or other materials like compost that will break down in time (beneficial for plants, not for ts)...not what I want in my enclosures.

Just buy the cheapest topsoil you can, the stuff sold for filling holes in driveways and such. A 40lb bag should cost less than $2.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
So your saying I shouldn't mist and just keep it dry? And if so what about the humidity, how do I keep that up?
Your location is PLENTY humid, do as poec described, keep the sub dry....poec also lives in Florida. This concern for humidity, which comes from crap care sheets that insist on number specific humidity levels, kills more ts than it helps and is terrible advice...which is why care sheets should never be trusted or taken seriously.