Need Help

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my little a versicolor is curling her legs undernieth her and moving slow. is dying or she getting ready to molt. I am FREEKING. what do i do?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Post pics of her and her enclosure. Make sure it's humid and ventilated in there.

spiderslight

Arachnopeon
Usually it is not a good thing for any T to curl it legs under it. like was mentioned before make sure is humid and very well ventilated.

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is very well ventilated. It is a kritter keeper and I spray her substrate once every three days in the oppisite corner of her tank

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your versi needs more moisture than that. She's probably dehydrating. You should be pouring water into the substrate to keep it ALL moist (not sopping wet, just moist) letting it just barely dry out once every week or two.

Again, please post pics if you want real help. People often mis-diagnose "death curls" but if it IS dying you probably need to make adjustments to the environment you're keeping it in, so we need to see that.

What you should do right now is moisten up the substrate and provide a little puddle of water right next to the sling for it to drink... then take a picture.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big is this kritter keeper your keeping the sling in? If it is too big it's not going to hold moisture very well. A sling needs a small vial or something to keep some moisture in. On average my substrate dries out 2-3 times per week and I mist pretty heavily to get it moist again every time. One or two squirts aint going to do it. Plus if the kritter keepr is too big, the sling might not be able to find it's water source, since you are spraying on the opposite side of the container. Personally I don't mind misting the webbing/tarantula a little bit, most of my avic's sit still when it happens and drink right away...granted, I don't spray very hard when I do this. I would take your versi out and put it in an ICU. Place it in a dark warm place and let it be for 24 hours see what kind of condition it is in after that.

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is not moving at all i think that i am to late

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big is this kritter keeper your keeping the sling in? If it is too big it's not going to hold moisture very well. A sling needs a small vial or something to keep some moisture in. On average my substrate dries out 2-3 times per week and I mist pretty heavily to get it moist again every time. One or two squirts aint going to do it. Plus if the kritter keepr is too big, the sling might not be able to find it's water source, since you are spraying on the opposite side of the container. Personally I don't mind misting the webbing/tarantula a little bit, most of my avic's sit still when it happens and drink right away...granted, I don't spray very hard when I do this. I would take your versi out and put it in an ICU. Place it in a dark warm place and let it be for 24 hours see what kind of condition it is in after that.
I was told that over misting could result in drowning or to much moister and she isn't that tiny i would say she is 5-7 months old she has only moltered twice since i had her. and this is the first spider i have had die on me in the 2 years raising them :( .

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see your first problem, you have water crystals in there. And what looks to be wood chips? or bark? Plus the enclosure was too big for the versi. I'm not sure what caused it to die though, but if it is showing any signs of life at all, you should put it into an ICU or try do drip a couple of drops of water into it's mouth.

btw, did you flip it over in that pic or did it do that itself?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was told that over misting could result in drowning or to much moister and she isn't that tiny i would say she is 5-7 months old she has only moltered twice since i had her. and this is the first spider i have had die on me in the 2 years raising them :( .
Well if it had lasted that long with you than she might not have been healthy to begin with. But from the looks of it, that enclosure was not suited for a versi at all.

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i did. i went to touch her and she did move checking if she was alive and when i touched her she rolled over. The substrate is called jungle earth and eco-earth mix.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ohh yeah, and the versi is arboreal, the kk should have been turned upright and modified to keep more moisture in but still maintain ventilation.

Personally I like coco-fiber.

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well if it had lasted that long with you than she might not have been healthy to begin with. But from the looks of it, that enclosure was not suited for a versi at all.
the one that i had her in was to small for her and that was the only one that i had to put her in i got her in ICU in a warm dark place i gave her some water to her mouth will see what happens tomorrow

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the one that i had her in was to small for her and that was the only one that i had to put her in i got her in ICU in a warm dark place i gave her some water to her mouth will see what happens tomorrow
Good luck.

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man this crap really bums a person out. Personally i don't think she is going to live. GRRR :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sometimes an ICU can really work wonders. We can only hope at this point. If she comes back then there are a couple of things that can be done to the cage to make it more suitable to that species.

Crossing my fingers for you...

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
should i shrink down the size of her tank. what should i do to make her more comfortable?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd get her in something a bit smaller that allows you to control your humidity bit better. People go on about how Avics need plenty of ventilation (true) but a KK provides too much. Everything dries out too quickly.

Get her into something smaller, with more vertical space with adequate cross ventilation. She should have at least a couple of inches of absorbent substrate that is kept visibly moist most of the time and spritz the walls of her tank liberally about twice a week. That's where avics get most of their drinking water, no a dish. In spite of that, i'd put a wide shallow water dish in there and keep it filled with regular water, both for drinking and ambient humidity. No gel, spiders can't drink it.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
-smaller enclosure
-top and cross ventilation
-coco fiber (cleaned)
-cork bark (cleaned)
-take out the dish with the water crystals, replace with an actual water dish, refill it every day if need be.

lol, etown, you beat me too it!