Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Need help with T. stirmi

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Adam96, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    so I noticed my 2 inch T. stirmi out of it's hide which was weird so i opened up the enclosure and it started running around or I should say limping around as it's 2 back legs seemed not to work. overall it seems lethargic.

also before anyone asks the enclosure has good ventilation and substrate is always moist

2. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

I looked on it's underside and didn't see any mites or anything outta the ordinary

3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Pictures of the tarantula and the enclosure would help us better answer your question.

4. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

2 pics

Attached Files:

5. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

pic

Attached Files:

6. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

from the way it moves it looks like dks

7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Sub is too dry....get a better hide...hides 1. shouldn't be clear, and 2. shouldn't have a bottom.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

it's cut at the bottom and the sub is quite moist beneath the coco fiber. I pour water in the sub and let it spread through the bottom.

I'm pretty sure it's dks with the way it moves it's legs, sorta flaps them thru the air while trying to walk

9. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

DKS isn't a disease . It is the result / symptom of an underlying problem.

Can you take a video of this unnatural movement of which you speak ?

What are you using for feeders ?

Has it been exposed to any chemicals lately ? Perfumes, sprays, air fresheners, powders, etc?

10. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

I'll take a video when I get home but I don't spray any thing near it and I feed it dubias, wax worms, meal worms and crickets

11. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

if I dropped a feeder on the carpet and picked it up and feed it to him could that cause it?

12. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

I have an area where I keep all of my T's and feeders away from anything that can harm them in terms of pesticides

13. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron

That's very possible. Even if you don't spray for pests in your residence, it's likely that you could have tracked something in on your shoes. Any feeder I drop on the floor gets put down and thrown away.

14. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

unfortunate news it's in death curl and its barely alive I did notice some white poo on his butt could this be caused by impaction?

• Sad Sad x 2
  15. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Maybe. (Or it could just be a smear of poop that didn't get wiped off.)

If it is an impaction, and the tarantula passes away, you should be able to see if it's an impaction by dissecting the abdomen.

16. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

What will I find if it is impaction?

17. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

A lot of feces in the abdominal cavity, especially near the anus.

Not a dissection, but:

18. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

it passed away sometime last night I probably won't be dissecting it.

also this is my first T to just randomly pass away so I'm really bummed anyways thank you guys for trying to help me figure out what was wrong

• Sad Sad x 1
  19. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron

Sorry about that Adam, sucks to lose them. Happens though. T stirmi are pretty cool to have. I wouldn’t be shy about trying again with another. I’d follow @cold blood ‘s advice. Continually moist soil and a good hide. If you can afford a 60 dollar sling, you can afford more than a plastic cup. That’s not a knock, but a nice piece of cork or half of a clay pot will be much better and nicer to look at.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

Always sucks to lose one. Two broken back legs that stick up in the air sounds familiar though, one of mine took a small fall, not enough to fall on its back but enough to break those two back legs. Make sure you don’t give them any chance to get off the ground, I make sure mine don’t have more than 1x dls vertically from now on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.