Need help with Scolopendra subspinipes subspecies

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
I've been keeping your common Scolopendra subspinipes for quite a few years now. I recently purchase Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans, before this I was not aware there were subspecies for Scolopendra subspinipes. Now I'm curious what is the subspecies of you common Vietnamese giant centipedes they sell very commonly usually for only $15-$20. ? Thank you for your help.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The most common is Scolopendra dehaani which isn't technically a subspecies but was listed as one a while back

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wish to know that as well :angelic: when it comes to those it's like navigating on pure sight alone. See that almost no one bother even to sex the centipedes they are selling, go figure then to make order among those.

One of the 'Pros' is that, since those are pure finest WC, in the case of high priced specimens if you are lucky enough to receive a gravid female (which isn't rare at all) you can sell/trade the pedelings.

I have the classic S.subspinipes, btw. Cheap as hell, defensive like if there's no tomorrow, arrived gravid, lol

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
I wish to know that as well :angelic: when it comes to those it's like navigating on pure sight alone. See that almost no one bother even to sex the centipedes they are selling, go figure then to make order among those.

One of the 'Pros' is that, since those are pure finest WC, in the case of high priced specimens if you are lucky enough to receive a gravid female (which isn't rare at all) you can sell/trade the pedelings.

I have the classic S.subspinipes, btw. Cheap as hell, defensive like if there's no tomorrow, arrived gravid, lol
I've never had the luck of getting a gravid one yet. :-(

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
The most common is Scolopendra dehaani which isn't technically a subspecies but was listed as one a while back
OK did some more research and confirmed what you just said but didn't solve my problem yet. The more reading i did i found the difference between scolopendra subspinipes and scolopendra dehaani id that the ventral surface of the terminal legs have spines on subspinipes but lacks them on dehaani. Mine has the spines therefore mine is subspinipes. So if there are subspecies of this species I still need a subspecies name to be accurate right?

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I've bought 4 pedes recently all sold as S. subspinipes. Now I'm pretty sure they are all actually S. dehaani. I will try to get a good pic of the ventral surface of the terminal legs. Dehaani have a worse bite than subspinipes from what I have read. I really can't wait to get Orin McMonigle's book on pedes. My expectations are high. Four more days, tops.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Dehaani are widely regarded as having the most painful bites of any centipedes as a matter of fact. Most of the people who have been envenomated by one have often labelled it as some of the worst pain they have experienced.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
The worst pain that I have ever experienced was a bite from a Sidewinder rattlesnake Crotalus cerastes. It was so bad that I was unable to form memories from part of the experience, my brain blocked it out. I highly doubt that dehaani can surpass this, but if I get bitten then I will be able to tell you which is worse. Not planning on that, even though I had a really close call with my 9" pede a few weeks ago while moving the hide. I set it down and it wrapped its body around it and got pinned a little. it struck my left index finger but my reflexes are pretty fast and I pulled away before it clasped down on my hand. The hide was just a lightweight piece of cholla wood so no harm was done to my pede.