Need help with Salmon Pink Birdeater

sidexkick

Arachnopeon
Hey I have a few questions

Whats the Smallest tank these guys can be kept in?

Mine shed a few days ago. 9 Days ago actually, and still wont eat, and its backside keeps getting smaller and smaller. How long will it take before it starts eating again??

Also It's been walking around kind of with it legs curled under. Only sometimes though. More times its walking around normal, but then it kind of looks like it dying. It's making me sort of nervous.

By the way its like 6 or 7 inches now. Im starting to think maybe its a male, and reached his ultimate molt.

Im sort of new to tarantulas, I had a Rose Hair, and when I gained some t experience I bought the salmon pink bird eater, and a King baboon. So Im new to molting, and the after affects and such. Any information would help.

Thanks for reading.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My gal is alittle bit larger and is kept in a ten gallon terrarium and has plenty of space to roam with nice sized waterdish and a large hideaway log. Nothing else.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
9 days is nowhere near the amount of time it takes for a tarantula that size to recover from molting. Yours just sounds very dehydrated, both the rapidly shrinking bum (which doesn't happen that quickly from lacking food) and the randomly curled legs. My GBB started curling a little after her last molt, but it stopped after I gave her more water (I don't normally give her a dish since she webs it up and makes it useless, but they're a very dry species and normally are fine without one).

Make sure yours has plenty of water, and if you aren't keeping the substrate damp, I suggest doing so. Get a cup and just start pouring it into a corner as far away from the T as you can so you don't stress it too much--it's still VERY fragile right now. You don't want to make mud, but you do want to spread some moisture around. If you see the tarantula obsessively clinging to this wet area afterward, you'll know the problem. Of course you have to let it dry out about once a week minimum or you get mold.

Does your tarantula have boxing gloves? Hooks? If you think it's male, you should check.

Tank size...same general rule as any other terrestrial T. 3-5x the legspan in floor space, and from dirt to ceiling should be about the legspan of the spider. But in the case of fast growers like L. parahybana, 1.5x is safe but will allow some growing room.

sidexkick

Arachnopeon
Wow thanks. I'v never actually seen a t drink water before. I put the dish In there, nudged it towards it, the second his leg touched the water, it turned around and stuck its mouth in the dish.
I had a dish in there before and never saw it even go near it, so I just took it out. I am guessing that wasnt a good idea.

Thanks alot for helping out my t.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have alot jungle ts and a waterdish is indispensible. My L. parahybana drinks from it everyday but I keep the substrate relatively on the drier side.

And my Haps built these elaborate burrows once I let their substrate get abit dryer. My H. longipes literally built this sand castle structure. But I maintain a minimally moist substrate.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks alot for helping out my t.
I've got a little L. parahybana, and he loves his wet dirt. He's the only one of my Ts that does, even though I must have lost two or three bottlecaps to being buried in his substrate so far. {D

Definitely keep his water full from now on, and see if he enjoys having an area of wet substrate too. This is a pretty thirsty species. Even if you don't see them drinking, they're probably doing it when you aren't looking. :)