Need help with price...

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not sure if it against the rules to post this here or not, but could someone give me an estimate on how much Wild Caught A. hentzi's or A. anax go for?
I have mostly adult females.

Is $15 a good price, or is that rather low, or too high?

Thanx,

Crystal

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

I think it is fair because it is WC. If it was captive breed I think 25/30 a piece. For the females and males well look for breeding loans.

Papa.

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. I know you are getting these from the wild, which is cool. If you are collecting from the wild be carefull not to over collect. It is very easy to take too many, especially if you are collecting to mostly sell. The rule is like 1\10- 1\20 of the colony.

I think adults go for around $40 from a dealer.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a thought, but have you checked with your local fish and game department to make sure selling wild caught indiginous species is even legal? I was told that anything caught locally and sold for profit is a BIG no-no and can result in some hefty fines, but it may vary depending on where you live.

If it's legal, then I'd say $15 is a fair price for a WC.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I have looked at the list for my location, and I see nothing about Tarantulas. Mostly just snakes, lizards, rodents, and some other mammals; Bats, coyotes, etc.

Also, I have checked out the population quite well....and trust me, there are LOTS of these things, lol.
And I wont be selling very many anyway, this is only to help me out a bit because of some financial situations due to my fiance losing his job for awhile.

Anyway, yeah, I think ill take $15...sounds fair enough. And I really dont want to sell them TOO cheap b/c it would make collecting and shipping not so worthwhile...ya know?

Thanks guys,
Crystal Light

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by thegeckobarn
Yes, I have looked at the list for my location, and I see nothing about Tarantulas. Mostly just snakes, lizards, rodents, and some other mammals; Bats, coyotes, etc.

Also, I have checked out the population quite well....and trust me, there are LOTS of these things, lol.
And I wont be selling very many anyway, this is only to help me out a bit because of some financial situations due to my fiance losing his job for awhile.

Anyway, yeah, I think ill take $15...sounds fair enough. And I really dont want to sell them TOO cheap b/c it would make collecting and shipping not so worthwhile...ya know?

Thanks guys,
Crystal Light
Cool. I really like to go collecting but it's hard to stop. I have 7 adult females of a CA sp. from several locations and 1 mature male. I've had a few good hookups so far so maybe slings someday.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wish the thing lived in cities....i want some CA species but im too lazy to get myself out to the countryside/desert.

oh and im too poor to buy you henzti's or else i would :)

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey man, I feel ya. I havent bought anything for the longets time.
Been too broke lately. It really sucks, all of my babysitting money goes to bills, bah!
And my leopard geckos havent produced anything in months due to the season change. I have one gravid female now though, still waiting for her to lay, ought make nice babies.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by esmoot
Cool. I really like to go collecting but it's hard to stop. I have 7 adult females of a CA sp. from several locations and 1 mature male. I've had a few good hookups so far so maybe slings someday.
Best of luck to you esmoot... To the best of my knowlege (and anyone, please correct me if I'm going on outdated info) no one has been able to successfully captive breed the central Ca Aphonopelma species. For some reason they just won't drop eggs. When I was told this a couple years back, I was told there are two theories on the matter:

1- No one has been able to taxonomicly ID the species in this region, and there are several that are not compatible for breeding.

I doubt this is the reason... Though there may well be more than one species, they are of the same genus and the result would likely be a cross breed rather than a complete lack of ability to reproduce. Additionally, if the males collected from a small geographic region are all paired up with numerous females from the same area eventually someone would hit the right pair.

2- There is a climatic trigger that induces the females to lay eggs that no one has been able to pinpoint and reproduce in captivity as yet.

I find this to be a much more plausable explanation, assuming that no one has yet managed to pull it off. But again, I may very well be going on outdated info. If anyone here knows of anyone who has successfully captive bread WC Aphonopelma from Central Ca, please let me know who, and if they have published their research on the matter anywhere so I can read it. :D