need help with my regalis

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
k so back in march i bought my 1st pokie from a expo in seattle. this is my 1st arboreal, as well as my 1st sling. while at the expo i saw she recently molted so when i brought her home i waited around a week to feed. all was goin well and her vial looked a lil small so i moved her into a smaller sized coffee style jar. well thats when the problem began... she hasnt been eating, and she actually burrowed down into her substrate, at the base of a branch she made her home. could she possibly be in premolt again, and how often does a sling molt? i ask because she was eating alot, and now dosent do much of anything..... maybe im just clueless because my experience comes from raising my female l. parahybana i call lunchbox lol..... i tend to over feed her cuz she wont ever refuse food... i think she even ate a single cricket 3 days prior to her last molt:confused:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sometimes pokie slings like to burrow. It's normal. She may just not be hungry yet. Try again in a few days. :)

Taipan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How old is she? (How big rather?) Pokies can molt pretty often early on. Is she being kept any cooler?
As long as she's hydrated and and has decent weight, I wouldn't worry too much.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as i said she WAS eatin ALOT... an shes about 1 to 1.5 inches maximum. her butts still pretty large so maybe shes had her fill of roaches for a while. ..as far as temp, the room its in is constantly around 70 and she is on top of my parahybanas cage which is around right 80ish inside. i keep therion (the pokie) right next to lunchbox's (my parahybana) heat light for maximum use

blackrayne

Arachnopeon
all of my pokie slings (and all of my slings for that matter) have made burrows and stay in them...theyve just now started coming out some (hitting about 2"), but spend the vast majority of their time underground...

phily1579

Arachnopeon
I have the same problem with my miranda. She ate like a champ. I moved my 3" miranda into a bigger tank, n since then she as not eatin. seems like u mess them up when u move them to a new n bigger enviroment. Ive read that the smaller the area, the better for the t. For territorial reasons n others. I wish i neva put her in there. thats for sure. P:?:worship::?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the same problem with my miranda. She ate like a champ. I moved my 3" miranda into a bigger tank, n since then she as not eatin. seems like u mess them up when u move them to a new n bigger enviroment. Ive read that the smaller the area, the better for the t. For territorial reasons n others. I wish i neva put her in there. thats for sure. P:?:worship::?
Not necessarily true. Sometimes it does take tarantulas a little bit of time to settle it. I have many that will eat right after a rehousing & several that take a bit.

There are plenty of keepers that enjoy giving their tarantulas larger housing & have no problems. Think about it, larger space also means less rehousing needed, which can mean less stress. Several of my subadults & adults are in containers that realistically are way more then they need, but i've worked them so they are aesthetically pleasing since it's not like the occupants come out much during the day anyways. Some have also done some really cool stuff to their containers. All have healthy appetites :)

But I certainly don't think ill of anyone keeping them in smaller containers either

Blurboy

Arachnopeon
When they get disturbed this is a pattern they normally take. In the wild pokies do burrow as slings and juveniles and retain a foothold to mother earth As they mature they then go up and become proper arboreals as they are safer at a bigger size. Don't worry about it and I'm sure everything will be fine.