Need help with my A.australis

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey all you scorpion experts,
Can anyone tell me if my scorpion looks pregnant or not. She just keeps getting wider and wider on her sides and this has been going on for a while. I figured if she was going to molt then she would of already molted by now. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated:)

Becky

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
First of all, that isn't A.australis. It isn't even a buthid. Looks to be Opistophthalmus sp. to me.

Secondly, it could be gravid or it could just be really well fed. With a specimen this light you may actualy be able to see the young through her sides. Shine a bright light on her and see what you can see.

Cheers,
Dave

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O.K. Dave, but that's what the pet store sold it to me as and since I don't know all the species of scorpions, I just took them at their word. So what would you guess the common name is then? Like I said I don't memorize much on them since I only have 3. The other two are a small flatrock, and a big red claw emperor(which actually was my nephews and I nursed it back to health). When I shine the flashlight I see like dark places that look to be like small balls, if that makes any sense to ya.
Becky

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Becky,

Well, at least the error is a safe one. I would have hated to see it the other way around. A.australis has a potentialy lethal venom. Opistophthalmus.sp is relatively harmless. Their care requirements are similar enough that you are unlikely to cause any real problems with one if you keep it like the other.

As for it being gravid, check out this thread for some insight. How does your scorpion compare?

Cheers,
Dave

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Dave,
As for the lethal part that doesn't bother me. I already have plenty of potentially hazardous critters already. Actually my fiance says I have a death wish or something because a lot of my favorites have high venom like my pokes and my pedes. My scorpion looks a lot like Scott's, but just needs to get a little bit bigger. The sides look like his does. So maybe I'll get lucky and end up being a scorpion grandma since my Usambara ate her eggsac. I'm still hoping my T.blondi will eventually make me happy though and lay hers. Thanks for all your help:)

Becky

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave,
Definitely right about being an Opisto. Looks identical to some of my O. glabifrons, though I also have a few that are darker also.

Becky,
You can also check out invertepet.com. Click on Yellow legged burrowing (Opistophthalmus glabifrons). This appears to be the same scorp and was recently identified by Dave Gaban when he visited Invertepet last time. Though the name which is used at this site (Yellow legged burrowing) is not the most common name used to refer to the species by all the stores and hobbyists. Most commonly, they are refered to as simply, Tricolor Hissing scorpions and Yellow legged Hissing scorpions. When irritated, they will rub their chelicerae (mouth parts) together creating a scratching or "hissing" sound. I think they get the hissing title more often than other Opistos because the sound they make is much louder than others you can find.

adios,
edw.

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The common name I found was the one most used for that species, and most reliably (by sites that seemed to know what they were talking about). They do hiss, though.

bill

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed, you are right Bill, but a LOT of them have no clue about anything dealing with scorpions as they tend to lean more towards tarantulas because of the larger number of people willing to purchase them. I really hate that, but as more people get into the scorpion hobby, it will go away a little more in time. I send my thanks to those in the scorpion trade for attempting to do their best to identify their scorpions properly as you have been doing . By the way! Bill, I'm having a friend of mine purchase a small group of scorpions from you soon and having them shipped to the Dalton, Ga area. The order should include scorpions from Centruroides genus, Babycurus genus, etc. Thanks for sending great specimen as always! I will probably see if you can aquire some C. margaritatus to add to my current and growing collection of them in the near future.

later and thanks,
edw.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great! Be sure to check stock availability on the list or by emailing/calling - the jacksoni are going fast.

thx,
bill