Need help with desert rosy boa

Ptucker1

Arachnopeon
I need some help with my desert rosy. He/she was living on this weird bedding the girl that gave him to me had in its tank. So today i picked up some of this stuff

i knew it was a bad choice but im not sure what else to use for him I NEED HELP!!!! sand or what? i put him in he got a piece of the bedding in his mouth so i went to grab him to get it out and he bite me so got that stuff out right then and im useing paper towls till i can goto the store 2maro. that was the first time he bite me in the month and a half ive had him.

here is a pic of him. i still love him to death(sorry camera shy)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use the recycled newspaper bedding for my 2 cornsnakes and my rosy boa, I keep my ball python on coconut because it holds moisture better.
You can use the aspen, a lot of people do for snakes, I just don't like the way if smells.
You could use newspaper as well. Rosy boas need a dry environment, so make sure you have everything else it needs. Additional heat, 2 hides, one on the cool side, one of the hot side, and a water dish.
Your rosy is lovely. Mine is a costal and I just love him. Best of luck with your baby.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What are you talking about? Aspen is a wonderful choice of bedding, it's non-toxic (unlike pine and cedar), it holds humidity well, it absorbs waste and odor very well (I can clean my tank with a kitty litter scooper {D )...what's wrong with it? :?

A snake getting bedding in its mouth is peculiar. Were you feeding it in the enclosure? Snakes keep their mouths closed when burrowing, as far as I've seen, and generally unless they're planning to bite something. Are you sure it was IN the mouth and not just briefly stuck to its head? :?

Sand is a TERRIBLE choice.

Ptucker1

Arachnopeon
thanks. he loves it now and i like it too. when i put him in he like got a peice in his mouth he got it out when he bite me lol. he just didnt like it at first he wasnt used to it but now all i see is he little head popping out. I feed him in a sperate kriter keeper.

Thanks,
Preston

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He is a real sweetie. Keep handling him gently and the biting should stop. Rosy boas are very nice snakes, I love mine. Is he your first snake?

Ptucker1

Arachnopeon
yes this is my first snake i handle him quite abit that was the only time in the month and a half that he has ever got mad. he is the best i love him.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha lookit that little face peekin out. :D

The only thing I would change about the enclosure is getting a bigger water dish. I don't know if these guys like to soak, but it won't hurt to give the option (especially when shedding). It doesn't have to be very deep, just wide enough for the snake to get into and deep enough that it won't splash water everywhere.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mushroom Spore, no, rosy boas do not soak, as a matter of fact, there are a number of rosy boa keepers that do not offer water all of the time, only 3 to 4 days a week, usually after eating.
Rosys can get ill from to much water or to much humidity in their tanks. It needs to be bone dry with just a water dish. I do have a water dish in with my rosy all of the time, but it is a small, deep dish that I only keep half full, if it dries out a day or two before I feed him, I don't refill it until I feed.
If you are going to change the water dish, get something ceramic with higher sides, what you have will allow water to spill out, and that is bad.