Need help sexing?

mckeownk

Arachnopeon
I don't know if my Honduran curly hair is male or female. It is about 10 months old and about 1.5 inches long. :( I've offered it quite a bit of food, but it has only chosen to eat like once every 2-4 weeks since I got it. Anyways, I'd love help identifying it. I have a feeling it's male since it's so small.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's small because it's essentially a baby :rofl:

Even if it's a male, you've got a several years before it matures. Just enjoy your spider for what it's worth, try not to get hung up on the specifics. This pet will be with you for quite awhile even if it is a male - mature male Brachypelma are generally long lived.

That was a nice way of saying that it's far too small to even guess with a ventral sex. If you had a decent microscope, you could sex it after a molt.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd add a small water dish. Try smaller feeders or even prekilled if you're not already. Its large to handle live though.

Like Euler's said, can't even guess on a spider that sze with that pic.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I used to need help sexing, and then I found OKCupid, and that problem went away. As a bonus, the GF buys me tarantulas sometimes.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not going to say anything to this thread except my bets on female from that pic. Dont hold me to that tho as its still tiny and thay pic isnt the best quality

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The upper booklungs have some distance but really, that indicator isn't very reliable on such a tiny T. I just can't make out anything else.
What a cutie -- I say just enjoy him/her while it grows up. You'll determine the gender eventually!