need help quick tarantula not moving

pool4321

Arachnopeon
hey so my curly haired sling has been moving slowly all day yesterday and today its not moving at all and has all its legs up in the air can anyone tell me what to do
1596359968130.png
1596360022485.png

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Looks like it's getting ready to molt soon to me. That substrate looks quite wet which could also be part of the problem.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Looks to be in premolt. I agree with @moricollins , it does look Wet. Is there any ventilation holes on the sides? And lid?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
When did it last molt/eat?
Kind of concerning the way it’s legs are all twisted like that. Sadly there isn’t much you can do beyond providing some extra ventilation and/or putting it on drier substrate. Hence the questions though... if it’s about to molt you don’t want to do too much

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry to say that when slings lose control of their legs like that they are usually close to death. They can topple backwards due to loss of balance, I've seen it, but in that circumstance it's nothing to do with moulting.

Your sling isnt about to moult either I'm afraid. The whole abdomen goes very dark, practically black in the days before, which is not the case here.

It looks healthy so it's hard to give the cause. Slings don't need much oxygen and albop's quite like some moist substrate. However, a poorly ventilated, overly damp enclosure can become stagnant, which could be harmful.

Having said that I've lost a sling like this and never managed to narrow the cause down.

If still alive, you could try removing it to a well ventilated tub with dry paper towel but place it on its back and give it one drip of water on its mouthparts. Leave a shallow water dish in there. Add another drop of water to a few hours later.in the meantime empty and thoroughly wash the old enclosure and prepare it with better ventilation (assuming the old one was lacking). As in a ring of holes around the sides. If the sling rallies then it can return.

Not everyone will agree with my suggestion but it is basically a last ditch attempt to get it out of potentially stagnant conditions. In that circumstance I would try a dry paper towel rather than damp, as although slings need damp substrate, I would try temporarily removing it from those conditions, while the enclosure is prepared.

What were you using for substrate btw?

pool4321

Arachnopeon
Hey guys thank you for all the responses I’ve tried moving it to dryer substrate like I was told with more ventilation last night and it’s still not moving and now all it’s legs r up in the air😭😭

dianemarie

Arachnopeon
I’m sorry I lost my A.avicularia last night, and I feel your sadness. Sometimes there’s nothin you do or didn’t do unfortunately some don’t make it

Jess S

Arachnobaron
So sorry. To be honest, sometimes there's nothing you can do to save them when they are showing those signs but it's so hard to do nothing either and just stand back and let nature take its course. At least you've tried to help it. Don't let this experience put you off.

pool4321

Arachnopeon
I’m just really worried now because I have another Tarantula and I don’t want the same thing to happen to it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That T is FAT as can be-...the legs up in the air-- unsure w/out observations- but generally not optimistic IME.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It definitely appears your T is about to expire. I would highly suspect the large amount of moist wood and bark chips present to be a contributing factor. Some trees have natural substances in their bark/wood that can have an insecticidal properties. Not only that, but if fresh and not already composted/aged, I believe the process of biodegradation might release various harmful substances such as gases, residues, tannins, etc. This is magnified in high moisture high concentration scenarios such as that enclosure. A little bit of bark or dry bark would be less of an issue (unless of course it is cedar).

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
It definitely appears your T is about to expire.
:rofl: About to expire, damn.... I have never thought of saying it like that, thanks for the inspiration !:D Gonna drop it on some inappropriate places, oh sorry to hear your sister expired yesterday...

pool4321

Arachnopeon
Hey so quick little update his arms went down but he still hasn’t moved does that mean he’s alive or what

Jess S

Arachnobaron
To be honest it doesn't sound good. But you never know. Upload a pic if possible.

Dead spiders often get a thin
surface of fuzzy looking white mould after a few days.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Yea, if your T doesn't has mold growing on it yet I would assume it is still alive. Did you move it out of that swamp you had it in ?

pool4321

Arachnopeon
No there’s no mold or anything and I removed him from the wet place to a dryer one with more ventilation

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
No there’s no mold or anything and I removed him from the wet place to a dryer one with more ventilation
Oh cool. Hopefully he's still alive then and if so, should recover. Have you tried touching his but with a straw or paint brush to see if he moves ?