Need help, quick responces please!

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

Perhaps I am over-reacting but my 1.5" G.pulchra has been on its back ready to molt for at least 3 hours now, and it's booklungs have turned white. Is it just getting ready to molt or is something wrong? Temp is 75 degrees and i have a moist paper towel over the top of the cage for humidity. I thought these guys molt in like an hour or less? And don't the booklungs only turn white after the skin is off the spider?

Thanks for any help as I am new to slings and don't know what to expect!

Mark

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never actually watched my slings molt so I don't know what kind of time it takes for them to molt. Not sure what to make of the white booklungs, it could be a sign that that section of exo is loosening away from the new exo and is turning white as a result of pulling away. That's just a guess though; I hope it does ok.

Adrian

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry guys, i am just paranoid. I just checked on the sling and it is almost done molting and there was never anything wrong. Belewfripp was right, the white booklungs were because the new tarantula was not longer intact with the old skin.

Any moderator can delete this thread, all is good now....assuming it gets the last little bit off hehe.

Mark

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I'd agree with Adrian. I bet the white is caused by the old exoskeleton being pushed away from the new, just before the carapace pops. The process CAN take hours sometimes, which is horribly nerve-wracking for the anxious owner. I feel for you! But chances are all will be well, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be.

Joy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
ah, sorry I wasn't here for this latest crisis :D
but I was there for ya on the last one hehe!
Glad to hear everything is fine!
Holley

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For future reference: the *moult* itself only takes a few hours at the most (usually less) but the laying around waiting for the moment of truth when the carapace pops open can be as much as 18 hours and probably longer.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well CM, your description fits perfectly. It laid on its back for 1/2 the day, then molted in like 30 min, its last molt toom 45 min or so. Thanks for the info, I'll remember that next time to avoid a personal crisis hehe.

Mark