need help quick,don't want my t to die

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi everyone, just got some t's today in the mail around 12 this affternoon, the redknne is doing fine climbing all over, BUT, the cobalt blue was all scrunched up , i misted her cage lightly and made a preburrow for her, but she still has'nt moved, i gently tryied moving her with a wooden dowel and shes all stiffened up, i even put my hand in there and touched her abdomen, this is really worrying me a lot, i tried offering food but the roach just climbed all over the t and it did'nt move, this really sucks, could anyone please give me some helpful advice, thanks ahead of time ---Jeff

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
she may be dehydrated...try an ICU for her...let me know if you need help on making one

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Are her legs curled under, or is she just sitting scrunched up? I've found it isn't uncommon for tarantulas who've been newly relocated to contract themselves into the smallest possible compass at first and play possum as it were. Often they seem to prefer to wait for night before really settling into their new home.

If, however, her legs show signs of curling, you should move her promptly to an ICU tank with moist paper towel substrate and a shallow water dish. I'd put her fangs right in the water dish (make sure the dish is shallow, and that her booklungs aren't in the dish also, so she doesn't drown). Keep the tank very warm--80 degrees or so--and hope for a revival. Do take care in doing this, however. Much as I would like to hear your spider is alive and well, I would hate to hear it had been ascertained by the circumstance of her driving her fangs into your finger!

Joy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
ah Joy, you're a quick one, aren't you?!!
Of course, typing one handed while eating a popsicle hampered me a bit LOL
That is right...make sure she isn't just scrunched up, trying to hide. H lividum are REALLY uncomfortable w/o their burrows. I just received one the other day, and she sat scrunched up till she found the hole I made for her to start a burrow. She's all happy now down at the bottom of it!
However, when I transfered her, she wasn't thrilled, here is a pic of how she felt about it

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oops...wrong pic LOL...that's from the back...
here is a front view of her rearing up at me

Last edited:

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

thanks, i'm gonna keep a close eye on her, if at all i see her legs curling i'll transfer her to an icu and do as you said, i hope shes just adjusting, thanks again, joy and immortal sin---Jeff

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
oops...wrong pic LOL...that's from the back...
here is a front view of her rearing up at me
My, my . . . temper, temper! You have clearly incited the wrath of the H. lividum ;)

Joy

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you do need to ICU, I've had good luck using unflavored Pedialyte with ts that were heat-stressed or dehydrated.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
If you do need to ICU, I've had good luck using unflavored Pedialyte with ts that were heat-stressed or dehydrated.
I always wondered about using pedialyte for such things, but are there ingredients that would be inappropriate/unneeded for inverts?
Ed