Need Help on moss

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I apologize if the question has been covered but my search results have yielded nothing.
I am embarrassed to ask this:8o

I have tried to search for the differences between the Zilla New Zealand Spaghnum peat moss that comes in a brick and just regular spagnum peat moss.

I did a google image search and they look like two totally different things.

I am wondering if the New Zealand Peat moss is even safe for T's?
It has a tarantula on the package but I do not think this is the spagnum peat moss everyone is talking about.

Any clarification on this would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your time in advanced.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would stick with coco fiber and live moss i have tried several brands of moss including the brick one the slab one and the one that is in a giant bag that looks dehydrated but baked.... all of them molded on me

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The first looks like just sphagnum moss dried into a brick like coco coir, and the second looks like actual sphagnum peat moss, which is decomposed sphagnum moss, essentially. You'll want the sphagnum peat moss for sub, or as suggested already, coco coir.

Also, all of these are safe for tarantulas, just make sure there are no additives listed on the packaging, though if it's for pets, you should be safe in that department.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
The first looks like just sphagnum moss dried into a brick like coco coir, and the second looks like actual sphagnum peat moss, which is decomposed sphagnum moss, essentially. You'll want the sphagnum peat moss for sub, or as suggested already, coco coir.

Also, all of these are safe for tarantulas, just make sure there are no additives listed on the packaging, though if it's for pets, you should be safe in that department.
AH, Thank you for clarifying :) :clap:

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
i would stick with coco fiber and live moss i have tried several brands of moss including the brick one the slab one and the one that is in a giant bag that looks dehydrated but baked.... all of them molded on me
Thanks for the heads up on that I really really appreciate that :)
going to go find some coco :)

Wish I had found the arachnoboards before getting my T's..;)