Need help on identifying this spider

Ravencronwell

Arachnopeon
Hello, my name is raven and a couple of days ago, I came across this orb weaver spider on a tree branch sitting on its web, it was a beautiful spider that I haven’t seen before at all before, and I am confused and curious what species this orb weaver is. I know the photos are hard to make out of what it is, but it is a small brownish spider with 2 marks on its abdomen as well as 2 points at the end of it. I am from Florida, west palm beach.

Attachments

Ravencronwell

Arachnopeon
Yup, it had egg sacks similar to that, definitely think it’s a tent spider, thanks, although it had a more browner color

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
We had a bush filled with what I thought was some kind of caterpillar colony? Great mass of webbing. It took me about 8 years until I spotted these spiders. Their webs apparently somewhat communal. Then when the bush got trimmed back I finally saw a spider at work building the web. IT IS BIZARRE!
First it starts out orb weaver fashion but it must have been highly neurotic. A tiny little patch of web then several thousand guy lines to hold it in place. Then I noticed the little orb patch was built on Euclidean principles, all neat right angles. Squares and rectangles. Then more web ala therididae random mess going every which way until it was so thick it looked like tent caterpillar efforts.
I think what would best describe this animal's webbing efforts is a few million years of evolution combining various web techniques and architecture, never settling upon a single plan.
If you want to see the flat, sometimes horizontal to the ground central patch of web it would be easiest to watch the spider when it has first started and mist the web so it becomes more visible. Those rectangles are a give away as to the architect.

Last edited: