need help on asian bird spider

johnsummitt

Arachnopeon
I ordered a king baboon spider and ended up with an asian bird spider. and someone out there tell me about this spider. i called the guy who sold it to me more less he didnt care so i stop payment on check not smart guy sent spider and not waiting for check to clear. man i cant beleave ppl you order things from and send you other things.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
asian bird spider doesnt say much, what species is it?

johnsummitt

Arachnopeon
tarantula thats what i pulled up trying to get piture of it

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

k its a haplopelma aureo

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep it like you would have kept the KB except keep the substrate moist.

I'm not sure Haplopelma aureo is a name. Might be Ornithoctinus aureotibialis? If so, great T!

Mez

Arachnoknight
Cant believe im even going to say this, but youre probably more likely to see a Haplopelma than a KB!
I bought mine about 2 weeks ago, and it was in a tiny kritter keeper with vermiculate, sat in the corner. Of course, i give it a foot of subsrtrate and all i have now is two mounds of dirt at each end of a bit of corkbark.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You will need very deep substrate for an tunnel digger like the Haplopelma spp.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
O. aureotibialis was once in the Haplopelma genus so, yeah. Look up care tips on Haplopelma and you will have care tips on your spider. Just run a search here and you'll find plenty.

By the way, I wouldn't be so sure it is O. aureotibialis. If you're just matching up pictures off the internet, many Haplopelmas look quite a bit alike as do some other Asian genera (like Ornithoctonus). "Asian Bird Spider" could be almost anything and ID'ing to a species from a photo is pretty unreliable.

Last edited:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Yes, post a photo before the ground swallows it up!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm guessing if he didn't get a picture yet, he may have missed his chance lol.