Need Help in Identifying my Scorpion

polphot

Arachnopeon
Good Day To all!

Im new to this site but please allow me to make my first post to help me identify this delightful scorpion I've found in the trail when we did a night trek from a particular mountain (elevation 810meters, flora: semi-tropical, interchanging terrain of grasslands and forest lines) somewhere in Batangas, Philippines last weekend (3rd of Feb.).

Please Help me identify my 2nd scorpion. I have now a 5th instar Heterometrus Longimanus Borensis.

I have a strong feeling this is an Isometrus Maculatus, but my surfing research also gave me a few hints that it may also be a Lychas or Vaejovis. Btw, its body length is roughly 10cms and im not sure how to care for this specie so please also guide how i can best care for him. Not sure if i should set up a heavy humid terrarium as with my heterometrus for him/her and its still being kept in a plastic container with a wet cotton ball and unfed.

PHOTOS:

here's a link to album in case the pics doesnt show.

Sorry for the picture quality. I cant remove the flash in macro mode of my camera. And the temporary plastic enclosure kept on reflecting the flash on his/her carapace.

Sorry guys, I will not disclose the name of the mountain for the reason that I have violated the adopted mountaineering code of "Leave No Trace". Admittedly, I erred by picking up this creature but im really fascinated in scorpions. Rest assured I will do everything i can to care for this lovely fellow.

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isometrus or Lychas species, not sure on the precise ID.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

according to the shape of the metasoma segments a Lychas sp most likely. Definitely no I. maculatus.

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Reminds me of lychas infuscatus or lychas marmoreus. I don't know if lychas marmoreus is found in the Philipines though.

polphot

Arachnopeon
Great Help Guys! Ive come to the right boards. I agree that i should strike out on my what if's the vaejovis and isometrus just by looking at the metasoma. i can live with knowing that this is a lychas but to what specie can be left for later.

Reading a bit on Lychas i found that they are semi-humid dwellers and loves to be on barks or trees. Is it safe to assume a nice bark/branch dwelling and 50-50(coco peat/potting soil and vermiculite) would suffice my terrarium?

Right now, im feeling a bit uneasy. woke up today to see him wetted himself on the cotton swab and curled like a millipede but i think its molting. Hope im right. I never saw my h. Longimanus molt as it always buried itself when he does.

anyway, might be this
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/lychas_sp(m)_phillippines.jpg

Cheers to everybody!{D

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say Lychas infuscatus. I collected one last year under leaf litter on the jungle floor in north Luzon. Batangas is down south, so I guess they are widely distributed.

Welcome polphot!

Are you already a member in the local forums here in PH?

I hope you were able to collect enough specimens to do captive breeding. My lone specimen died, I guess from old age. Just try to replicate the habitat where you found it when you set-up your enclosure.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it looks like its too wet on his container...

ill ge going on infuscatus, and probobly a female. doesnt look like gravid to me and it needs to have a meal right away...

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!
:D

a lucky find... :p

polphot

Arachnopeon
Kudos to everybody who confirmed this is indeed a lychas.

Somewhere arid yet dense forest is the habitat ive found this. mostly dry to wet during the day but cold and humid in the night. Hehehe less spraying for me as compared to the h. longimanus.

I can see its quite a hardy species as ive caught it on a saturday night kept in a small 7-11 plastic bag with a cotton swab to hydrate itself and yet it survived my trip home to las pinas city sunday evening.

polphot

Arachnopeon
@Alakdan, sadly he's the only one that caught our attention while we were trying to catch our breath during the ascent. :8o He/she wont get any shagging unless somebody knowledgeable with this specie is willing to introduce a new gene to their lot. I can trade or buy a mate. Sexing problems though.

btw, pls private message me a link to the local scorpion community here. Thanks!