Need help identifying

Pyronaut451

Arachnopeon
Sorry if there's a thread for this sort of thing already. Anyway, there are some fairly common bright blue scorpions about 3-4 inches in length with small claws. I've only seen them in parts of South Florida/Miami. I was wondering if anyone knew anything of this species as I have not been able to find an info on this species anywhere online. I was wondering if anyone thinks they know what type of scorpion this is?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think your going to need to post a pic. Maybe some experienced keeper can guess though.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bright blue?

have you actually sen them with your own eyes or just from pictures?

"bright blue" sounds like you've seen a scorp under black light.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Centruroides gracilis
Centruroides guanensis
Centruroides hentzi
Isometrus maculatus

I'm not sure, but I think these are the only scorpion species present in Florida.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What about a whip scorpion (Mastigoproctus giganteus), they could seem sorta blue and are in Florida

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I.maculatus has not been seen in Florida since it was original reported there.

Need a photo to tell what species it is...'blue' does sound like it was under a black light.

John
];')

Pyronaut451

Arachnopeon
I have seen them with my own eyes doing yard work. It definitely was bright blue, whether that was a color variation due to weather or a strange diet in the area, or a seasonal color, I do not know. They sting alot though, and people in the area are familiar with them. Extremely painful sting is what I have heard. Next time I'm back in Miami I'll try to get a pic.

Pyronaut451

Arachnopeon
Actually looking at pictures it may be an especially large and bright centruroides gracilis... Much bluer than the pictures I see but other than that spot on.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Take a decent photo of one and put it up here.

Should be easy to ID.

There are only 3 realistic choices for it to be anyway. Centruroides hentzi, Centruroides guanensis and Centruroides gracilis. There may be instances of C.vittatus in the panhandle and possibly Vaejovis carolinianus near the Georgia border. C.hentzi and C.guanensis look very similar.

Check the photos in the gallery here:
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.php

John
];')