Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Need help identifying

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Pyronaut451, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Pyronaut451

Pyronaut451 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Sorry if there's a thread for this sort of thing already. Anyway, there are some fairly common bright blue scorpions about 3-4 inches in length with small claws. I've only seen them in parts of South Florida/Miami. I was wondering if anyone knew anything of this species as I have not been able to find an info on this species anywhere online. I was wondering if anyone thinks they know what type of scorpion this is?

2. InfestedGoat

InfestedGoat Arachnobaron Old Timer

I think your going to need to post a pic. Maybe some experienced keeper can guess though.

3. calum

calum Arachnoprince

Bright blue?

have you actually sen them with your own eyes or just from pictures?

"bright blue" sounds like you've seen a scorp under black light.

4. calum

calum Arachnoprince

Centruroides gracilis
    Centruroides guanensis
    Centruroides hentzi
    Isometrus maculatus

I'm not sure, but I think these are the only scorpion species present in Florida.

5. What about a whip scorpion (Mastigoproctus giganteus), they could seem sorta blue and are in Florida

6. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

I.maculatus has not been seen in Florida since it was original reported there.

Need a photo to tell what species it is...'blue' does sound like it was under a black light.

John
    ];')

7. Pyronaut451

Pyronaut451 Arachnopeon

I have seen them with my own eyes doing yard work. It definitely was bright blue, whether that was a color variation due to weather or a strange diet in the area, or a seasonal color, I do not know. They sting alot though, and people in the area are familiar with them. Extremely painful sting is what I have heard. Next time I'm back in Miami I'll try to get a pic.

8. Pyronaut451

Pyronaut451 Arachnopeon

Actually looking at pictures it may be an especially large and bright centruroides gracilis... Much bluer than the pictures I see but other than that spot on.

9. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

Take a decent photo of one and put it up here.

Should be easy to ID.

There are only 3 realistic choices for it to be anyway. Centruroides hentzi, Centruroides guanensis and Centruroides gracilis. There may be instances of C.vittatus in the panhandle and possibly Vaejovis carolinianus near the Georgia border. C.hentzi and C.guanensis look very similar.

Check the photos in the gallery here:
    http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.php

John
    ];')

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.