Need help identifying two Scolopendrids + possible tropical House Centipede..

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone have any ideas as to the identity of the large one, yet? I would like to know because tomorrow I am going on a field expedition in search of centipedes and trap-door spiders and if I find any more centipedes and they are indeed mutilans I can keep them together and possibly breed them.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

without the already mentioned detail-macros i'd say it is not possible to identifiy the pede 100%, because s. mutilans and multidens are not very easy to distinguish only by standard photos.

BUT...

You said
"3) It's got 5 spines on the inside of the terminal legs and two more on the outside."

If you counted right, then i'd go for 70% scolopendra multidens, because s.s. mutilans should only have 2 ventral-lateral and one spine each medial and upper-medial.

Regards
Turgut

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
haven't read the entire topic, sorry not much time lately, :8o
but i think it's about ID of the 1st one ?
my guess would also be Scolopendra multidens,
based on the spines, location and the look of the terminals,
i have to agree again with Turgut.

PS: MaartenSFS,
your name doesn't sound much Chinese to me, rather Dutch :?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you gentlemen. Don't forget that I didn't count the coxopleural spines with the five. If it is, indeed, multidens then I haven't found much information on them. I'm going to be very careful about cohabitation, but I still want to try and breed them. I'll just have to stand ready to break up a fight.

En natuurlijk ben ik een Nederlander, Steven. Ik woon gewoon in China en heb een Chinese vrouw.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I'm going to be very careful about cohabitation, but I still want to try and breed them. I'll just have to stand ready to break up a fight.
I don't know how much experience you have with centipedes, but instead of trying to breed those at once, why won't you try to stimulate adults in laying eggs, since they are Wild-Caught, many chance you have pregnant females allready,... no need to take the risk of cohabitation. After you have raised some youngsters to adult, you still can start attemps to breed them ;)

En natuurlijk ben ik een Nederlander, Steven. Ik woon gewoon in China en heb een Chinese vrouw.
Ah ha, dacht al zoiets :D

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know how much experience you have with centipedes, but instead of trying to breed those at once, why won't you try to stimulate adults in laying eggs, since they are Wild-Caught, many chance you have pregnant females allready,... no need to take the risk of cohabitation. After you have raised some youngsters to adult, you still can start attemps to breed them ;)

Ah ha, dacht al zoiets :D
That's a very good idea, as I caught a HUGE specimen today on our expedition. I also caught about seven Otostigmus scaber, three Scolopendra multidens (Two juveniles and one adult) on a macadonia nut plantation on the way out of the forest. The pine forest had nothing except giant millipedes (I'm going to start a new thread on those later (With photos).

All of these, except for some of the millipedes and the big multidens (It was obviously the same species as the other one and its terminal legs were clearly visible) were released on-site. I make a habit of only collecting big adult specimens and leaving the juveniles. There are many.

The colouration of the big multidens is similar to the other one and I haven't been able to measure it because it was very long, robust, and highly aggressive. I'm actually quite lucky that I didn't get bitten while trying to catch it. Does the bite hurt as much as subspinipes? I will compare the two and see if they are male or female (If I can! :confused:). Can anyone tell me more information about this species, as I have been able to find very little. I'll keep you updated.

Ik zal dan eerst even wachten en zien wat er gebeurt. Ik heb ook in Belgie gewoond (Wildert). Nog bedankt.