Need help? Help us help you!

joossa

Arachnobaron
I have noticed a lot of people ask for help on this board (Tarantula Questions & Discussions), but usually do not provide some basic, but critical information to receive the help they need.
Help us help you! When asking for help or advice, please try to include the following information in your post when relevant:

Photographs:
A picture is worth a thousand words... and can help us identify issues you may not describe in your post!

1. Enclosure: Provide a photo of the enclosure. Side view and top-down view. (Almost always relevant and helpful!)
  2. Tarantula: Provide a photo of the tarantula. Side view and top-down view. (Almost always relevant and helpful!)

Information About Your Tarantula:
Give us some of the basics.

1. Name: Use scientific names, not common names. (Always relevant!)
  2. Size: Provide the approximate size of your spider using the diagonal leg span. (Always relevant!)
  3. Sex: Is your tarantula a male or a female or is the sex unknown?
  4. Food: When did it last eat? What does it normally eat? What did it last eat?
  5. Molt: If known, let us know when the tarantula last molted.
  6. Age: If known, provide the approximate age of the tarantula.
  7. Duration of Ownership: Provide approximately how long you have had the tarantula.

Information About Your Enclosure and Keeping Conditions:
Tell us a bit a about your tarantula's housing.

1. Enclosure Type: What type of enclosure are you using (glass tank, plastic shoe box, deli container, etc.)?
  2. Enclosure Size: How big is the enclosure?
  3. Enclosure Lid Type: What type of lid does your enclosure have (wire mesh, screen mesh, acrylic, etc.)?
  4. Water: Is there a water dish in the enclosure? Do you make sure it's full and clean?
  5. Ventilation: How much and what kind of ventilation does the enclosure offer?
  6. Substrate: What are you using for substrate? How much substrate is in the enclosure?
  7. Vertical Space: What is the distance from the top of the enclosure to the substrate level?
  8. Hide: Are you providing a hide? If so, what kind of hide and how big is it?
  9. Temperatures: What is the average high ambient (usually daytime) temperature? What is the average low ambient (usually nighttime) temperature?
  10. Supplemental Heating/Lighting: Are your providing supplemental heating or lighting (light bulbs, heat mats, etc.)? If so, what are you using, how, and why?

joossa

Arachnobaron
Folks: Let me know if you think anything else should be added to the list. This is not meant to be exhaustive.... just meant to list the basic, but really imoportant bits of info we frequently need to help those that are asking for advice.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Folks: Let me know if you think anything else should be added to the list. This is not meant to be exhaustive.... just meant to list the basic, but really imoportant bits of info we frequently need to help those that are asking for advice.
This is nice and all but the new people coming here will never read it, just like the 'Beginner's Guide' at the top of the main page. They scroll down passing it up to ask a question.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The doctor is in.
I like where you're coming from.
No one's going to comply but i like it

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
be so much easier if they just used searchthe function once they joined even just a google search usually just leads you to these forums any ways :rofl: thats how i first found this place

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nice sentiment but it'll get ignored because people are dumb/ignorant. If you want an example of just how dumb/ignorant people are then one of the FB tarantula groups I'm in has a clear "no handling pics" rule that you have to confirm you've read before being accepted into the group and people still post handling pics on a daily basis.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Nice sentiment but it'll get ignored because people are dumb/ignorant. If you want an example of just how dumb/ignorant people are then one of the FB tarantula groups I'm in has a clear "no handling pics" rule that you have to confirm you've read before being accepted into the group and people still post handling pics on a daily basis.
Ugh, those groups are awful. Always promoting terrible husbandry too! I only just now commented on a photo of someone showing off their recently moulted T with a live Cricket right next to it .🤦‍♀️ :banghead:

I only trust AB for any questions I have.