Need help!!! Hadrurus Arizonensis aka desert giant hairy scorpion qu

Nikki666

Arachnopeon
We have had our four for about a year now and this is the first time they have burrowed and not came out. Well, two of them have went into hiding and we havent seen them for weeks, the other two continue to run around and be michevious and only burrow some of the time, we need to clean the enclosure and also make sure the two that are buried are alright. Should we go ahead and relocate and potentially disturb and or hurt them? Or go ahead with it? The two who are in hiding are completely under the dirt there are no openings for air. I know they can go without air for awhile, but its been weeks. Thanks

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Mine also did that. When the time came to clean the enclosure they needed to come out.
I raised the (artificial) ground water level, it made him pop up possible because he was thinking it was raining.
You could carefully dig your scorpion up. I used a fork in the past. Just be very gentle.
These days i use a substrate mix of sand and clay, baked it dry using a paint stripper heat gun. Now they have to put in more effort to dig, but the tunnels won't collapse.
When their tunnels don't collapse you can use a endoscope to check on them.

Nikki666

Arachnopeon
Mine also did that. When the time came to clean the enclosure they needed to come out.
I raised the (artificial) ground water level, it made him pop up possible because he was thinking it was raining.
You could carefully dig your scorpion up. I used a fork in the past. Just be very gentle.
These days i use a substrate mix of sand and clay, baked it dry using a paint stripper heat gun. Now they have to put in more effort to dig, but the tunnels won't collapse.
When their tunnels don't collapse you can use a endoscope to check on them.
Thank you so much for the help. We have an endoscope on the way. We are in the process of excavating it right now but they are nowhere near where we thought they were. We may try the water though. The clay idea is a great one, I think it's something we will definitely want to try out. Your help is greatly appreciated!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
We have had our four for about a year now and this is the first time they have burrowed and not came out. Well, two of them have went into hiding and we havent seen them for weeks, the other two continue to run around and be michevious and only burrow some of the time, we need to clean the enclosure and also make sure the two that are buried are alright. Should we go ahead and relocate and potentially disturb and or hurt them? Or go ahead with it? The two who are in hiding are completely under the dirt there are no openings for air. I know they can go without air for awhile, but its been weeks. Thanks
This is still their diapause period.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Desert hairies have a hibernation period where they bury themselves for months and don't come out.